In listening to John Elway's first presser in his new role, it was clear that he has had some very specific ideas as to how the Broncos franchise has been run and how he has felt about that.
It was also clear that there will be some big changes here starting now. He said that the search for a new head coach was well under way and that there have been interviews scheduled with Atlanta Falcons OC Mike Mularkey this Friday, NY Giants DC Perry Fewell and current Broncos interim HC Eric Studesville.
Elway also said he had been in contact with Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh, who is also scheduled to talk to the San Francisco 49ers as well.
And whoever comes in will have the opportunity to make their own decisions regarding who will be the starting QB, and that Elway said he would not dictate that the next head coach install Tim Tebow as the starter but he does expect him to at least work with him.
When asked if it was a forgone conclusion that Tebow would start, he said, "Tim has a lot of work to do and he would be the first one to admit that. We all agree on one thing: Tim Tebow is a darn good football player. What we've got to make him is a darn good quarterback and that's what we have to figure out."
Nothing was mentioned about current starting QB Kyle Orton and I am certain we won't hear anything unless there is a trade offer made or the new coach makes a decision.
What did you think of the press conference and do you think John Elway will be successful?
Another positive comment (at least from my perspective) was regarding the recent firing of Josh McDaniels. Elway admitted that the Spygate II issue played a large part in McDaniels' dismissal.
To that Elway said, "I think that (Spygate II) bothered the whole organization. That's not the way the Denver Broncos do business, and how Mr. Bowlen does business. So to me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
"Pat never wants that to happen again I think he trusts me, being in this position and being involved in the football side, to make sure that never happens again."
What a relief to finally hear that this debacle actually bothered someone in the Broncos front office as much as it did me.
What I took away from this first press conference is that the Broncos are on their way to being the franchise that we have all loved and cheered for for the past 50 years. And that the pride has been renewed.
We once more can be LOUD and PROUD in Mile High!