My Bolts had Week 10 off. Even though they were on their bye week, they may have had their most productive week of the season.
That's right, just sitting on their couches, going fishing, watching their college teams play, catching up with their family and friends, or simply doing "honey do's" turned into many great things for the Chargers and their chances to make the playoffs.
Looking a little deeper, this is what I am talking about:
1. The AFC West leading Kansas City Chiefs lost to the Denver Broncos. This was a game that many had considered a gimme for the Chiefs. After all, the Broncos had been getting whipped like Zenyatta driving late to the wire. The Chiefs went in overconfident and the Broncos jumped ahead by 35 points!!!
2. The Broncos won! Yes, that is a plus for the Chargers as well. You see, one of the largest problems for the Bolts is that they get very full of themselves, even before they beat anyone. The Broncos winning this game not only brought the Chiefs within reach, without needing help, but it showed the Chargers that the Broncos are not a team to look past. I fully expect the Chargers to take the Broncos seriously now.
3. Over this long bye week, many of the Chargers starters got healthy and are ready to return. Expect Siler, English, Floyd, Naanee, Dielman, and Kaeding to return for the Monday night matchup. Antonio Gates and Ryan Matthews are also talking as though there is a good chance that they may be ready by Monday night as well, although they may not practice all week.
4. The Chargers have from November 8th to the 22nd to work on and fix their special teams problems. Norv Turner has promised that there will be no more blocked punts this season, so I hope they figured things out.
The only negatives that may be an issue for the Chargers this week would be:
1. Denver is playing at a high level on offense. Their pass game is great and their running game is picking up.
2. The rust may have built up for the Chargers after such a long layoff. Especially for the guys who are coming back from injury.
I say, blow the whistle and let's play some football!
Enjoy the games. I hope you had a better Week 10 than I did.
Last week: 6-8
Season total: 79-65
Now, on to this week's picks!