It’s Thursday, that means today is the last day we have to suffer through before the Yankees start back up again. Was this long delay really necessary?
Here are some notes:
- The Yankees have finally announced their ALCS rotation: C.C. Sabathia in Game 1, Phil Hughes in Game 2, Andy Pettitte in Game 3 and A.J. Burnett in Game 4.
- The ALCS roster will be the same as the ALDS roster.
- Burnett threw a simulated game yesterday and hit two batters, but called it a big step forward.
- Javier Vazquez and Chad Gaudin also pitched in yesterday’s simulated game, but luckily neither were added to the ALCS roster.
- That could have been the final time Vazquez threw a pitch in a Yankees uniform.
- Still no word on whether or not Francisco Cervelli will catch for Burnett or not.
At first I wanted Pettitte to start Game 2, but the more I think about it the more I am comfortable with him starting Game 3 against Lee. Believe it or not, Lee isn’t invincible and if anybody is up for rising to the occasion, it is probably Pettitte.
If the Yankees are down 3-0, you’d better believe that C.C. will come back and start on short rest in Game 4.
Goodbye and good riddance to Vazquez. I defended him early and often at first, but this season really was a bust. It’s a shame they can’t even get a draft pick out of him, but it’s really not worth the risk to offer him arbitration.