Buffalo Bills 2010-2011 Outlook: Problems, Questions and Answers
Holy hell. What has happened to the Buffalo Bills? As we enter the bye week, fans have no choice but to sit home and gaze upon the other spectacles the NFL has to offer.
After the disappointing performances by the Bills defense this year aside from Week One vs. Miami, it seems as though defensive coordinator George Edwards is beginning to feel warmth on his seat. The switch to the 3-4 defense is "supposedly" one of the most difficult transitions in sports, but I don't know if that's an excuse for four straight games in which the Bills defense has given up 30+ points.
I was in favor of the 3-4 switch and still am. Look at the Kansas City Chiefs, who made the switch last season and now employ a ferociously explosive defensive unit. I'm sure we can all remember the Chiefs defense was absolutely atrocious last year, but one top-five pick later they are quite the formidable opposition.
So What's the Problem?
1. The Bills lack personnel capable of playing in a 3-4 scheme, although they have been making moves left and right trying to fit players in and out of the system. They recently cut Chris Ellis (whom I personally loved in the preseason and in Week One), signed a couple of linebackers who "fit the scheme," and tried out a 4-3 front against Jacksonville last week. None of the aforementioned moves have had any significant impact.
2. Why is Chris Kelsay a starting linebacker in the NFL? I understand that he is a key member in the locker room, and to be honest, I don't even care that he is getting $6 million a year because we are millions under our salary cap anyways.
BUT HOLY CRAP, I have watched or attended each game thus far and have seen Kelsay get burned for a touchdown in almost every one of them. Lucky for us, we get four more years of mediocrity from Chris Kelsay.
3. We can only help that the "players only meeting" yesterday will sort out some of the issues on the defense. Aaron Maybin, Jarius Byrd, Marcus Stroud, Reggie Torbor, and Donte Whitner need wake up calls. Kudos to Kyle Williams, Dwan Edwards, Paul Posluszny, and Leodis McKelvin for their play this year.
Offense and Special Teams
1. I would like to point out, first and foremost, the exceptional play of Ryan Fitzpatrick since taking the starting role. Good riddance to "Trentative" Edwards, a.k.a Captain Checkdown. Although Fitzpatrick is not an elite NFL QB, he has played admirably through the past few games, throwing for 595 yards, seven touchdowns, and two interceptions. If only he had more control over where his throws went.
2. Anyone else miss Bobby April? It seems like the Bills have given up 30-40 yards on every kickoff this year. Can anyone make a stop behind the 30? Punt coverage doesn't look much better, if not worse. Improvements were made against Jacksonville, and I commend the ST unit for their effort.
3. Much like the Chris Kelsay predicament, why the hell is Cornell Green a starting right tackle in the NFL? He must be averaging 2.6 penalties per game, not to mention the fact that he gets beat off the edge 99.3 percent of the time. He makes the line look a lot uglier than it is. Kudos to Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Demetrius Bell (for being better than the lackluster player he was supposed to be), Corey McIntyre, and Ryan Fitzpatrick for their play this year.
Buddy Nix has already stated that he doesn't want to acquire "big names" through trades or free agency. He wants to build through the draft, just like he did in San Diego (although he was only an assistant GM). To a degree, I can agree with his plan. What do we need?
|Quarterback||Wide Receiver||Offensive Tackle||3-4 OLB||3-4 DE|
|Andrew Luck||Jonathan Baldwin||Anthony Castanzo||Robert Quinn||Marcel Dareus|
|Jake Locker||AJ Green||Joseph Barksdale||Von Miller||Allen Bailey|
|Ryan Mallett||Michael Floyd||Derek Sherrod||Akeem Ayers||Cameron Jordan|
|Terrell Pryor||Julio Jones||Gabe Carimi||Jeremy Beal||Lawrence Guy|
Just a few options for each position, comment and let me know what you think!
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?