Last night’s Yankees game hurt, but at the end of the day it is just one loss and only one Ranger was able to beat them. Unfortunately that was twice, but the Yankees offense won’t always be shutdown like that and the bullpen pitched extremely well.
Here are some notes:
- Jorge Posada was cleared to play, but he won’t catch until Sunday at the earliest. He did pinch hit last night and conceivably could do that again tonight.
- Andy Pettitte is scheduled to make one more rehab start before returning.
- LHP Manny Banuelos pitched seven shutout innings to pitch the Double-A Trenton Thunder past New Hampshire and the first round of the playoffs. This gives Pettitte a place to pitch his next rehab game.
- Phil Hughes pitched one inning last night, Joe Girardi said before the game that he was available for just one day instead of having a side session.
- Javier Vazquez now has at least one strikeout in 349 consecutive appearances tying Dwight Gooden for third all-time. Nolan Ryan has the record at 382 and Randy Johnson is in second with 351.
- Finally, the Yankees announced that they are purchasing their Triple-A affiliate the Scranton Yankees and plan to keep them in Northeastern Pennsylvania.