AFC: Byes for Colts and Bengals.
(3) Chargers vs. (6) Patriots, Chargers advance to Divisional Round.
(4) Jets vs. (5) Ravens, Ravens advance to Divisional Round.
(1) Colts vs. (5) Ravens, Ravens advance to AFC Championship.
(2) Bengals vs. (3) Chargers, Bengals advance to AFC Championship.
Bengals vs. Ravens, Ravens advance to Super Bowl.
NFC: Byes for Saints and Packers.
(3) Giants vs. (6) Cowboys, Cowboys advance to Divisional Round.
(4) 49ers vs. (5) Falcons, 49ers advance to Divisional Round.
(1) Saints vs. (6) Cowboys, Saints advance to NFC Championship.
(2) Packers vs. (4) 49ers, 49ers advance to NFC Championship.
Saints vs. 49ers, 49ers advance to Super Bowl.
Super Bowl: 49ers vs. Ravens in Arlington, Texas. Ravens win Super Bowl.
You've all heard the reasons why the Ravens could win the Superbowl. But the 49ers? Listen.
The 49ers have Alex Smith, who doesn't have the numbers yet to justify being a number one overall selection, played well last season, with a passer rating of 81.5. Frank Gore is a top five running back, Vernon Davis was the best tight end last season, and Michael Crabtree has top ten wideout potential for this season. The 49ers also addressed their biggest weakness, the offensive line, with two first round selections at 11th and 17th overall. Oh yeah, and former Eagle Brian Westbrook is their second string running back. Not bad.
On the other side of the ball, they have the best linebacker in the league in Patrick Willis (Ray Lewis isn't as good as Willis anymore, but he's still close.) Takeo Spikes is a solid veteran linebacker, and Parys Haralson has 13 sacks over the past 2 seasons. Justin Smith is one of the most underrated linemen in the league. Safety Michael Lewis hits hard, and rookie Taylor Mays has tremendous upside.
The 49ers traded for Ted Ginn Jr, which will greatly improve their return game.
This team reminds me very much of the Giants when they won the Superbowl in 2007 with Eli Manning at quarterback (he had a depressing 73.9 quarterback rating that year.) They had very good backs, a great wide receiver, and a very underrated defense. I still think the Ravens win it all, but the 49ers have a shot.