Nick Laham/Getty Images
Marcus Thames hit his sixth home run in as many games as the Yankees slugged their way past the Oakland A’s 11-5.
Here are some notes:
- Mark Teixeira returned to the lineup and hit a third inning home run that put the Yankees ahead 4-3.
- Dustin Moseley started and did not have his best stuff. He lasted just 4.1 innings, allowed four runs and walked four.
- Javier Vazquez came on in relief and pitched as well as he’s pitched all season. His fastball looked good, often clocking in at 91 mph, right where he needs to be to be effective.
- Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher both went 3-for-4, driving in three runs. Cano homered.
- Trevor Cahill allowed eight earned runs, a career-high. So much for his Cy Young candidacy.
- The Rays beat the Blue Jays tonight so the teams remain tied for first place.
- The Red Sox had the night off and move to seven games back.
- August 25, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Recap, Swisher, Hughes, and Aceves
- August 30, 2010 -- Yankees: Worst Rotation, Best Bullpen Last 30 Days
- August 12, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Thames, Vazquez, Teixeira, Posada
- August 9, 2010 -- Extended Yankees Notes: A-Rod, Burnett, Posada, Pettitte, and More