The 2010 NFL season is upon us, and many teams are dealing with multiple injuries, holdouts, and suspensions to key players. Eli Manning of the New York Giants suffered a lacerated forehead that required 13 stitches. Vincent Jackson of the San Diego Chargers is holding out of training camp, and Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers is suspended for at least the first four games of the season.
These players, as well as others, are valuable members to their perspective ball clubs, and some may argue that they are their teams' “Most Indispensable Players.”
With the recent injury to Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman, do Tampa Bay faithful believe that he is the one player that they cannot afford to lose this season?
Is Josh Freeman the “Most Indispensable Buccaneer?”
The Most Indispensable Buccaneer is a player that if missing from the lineup will give the opposing team the opportunity to exploit the perceived weakness of their opponent.
Who do you think are perceived to be Tampa Bay’s “MIB” on offense and defense?
Here are mine:
- Jeff Faine—Missed the first quarter of the 2009 season. The Bucs started Sean Mahan in Faine’s absence and promptly released Mahan upon his return.
- Tanard Jackson—Missed the first four games of the 2009 season. Opposing teams torched the Bucs in the air and on the ground during his suspension.
- Donald Penn—Threatened to hold out for the season if he was not tendered a new contract. He is believed to be needed to protect Freeman’s blind side.
- Barrett Rudd—Led the team in tackles last season. He is also looking for a long-term contract.
- Mike Williams—Already being considered a fantasy sleeper and Freeman’s go to guy.
- Gerald McCoy—This year’s third overall draft pick who is expected to stop the bleeding in the opposing team's run game.
- Kellen Winslow Jr.—Led the team in receptions last year. Surgically repaired knees are always a concern.
- Josh Freeman—Franchise quarterback?
Let me know if there is someone I missed or if the “MIB” you're thinking of is not on the roster just yet.