The Red Sox gave up Brandon Moss, Craig Hansen, and Manny Ramirez, just to get Jason Bay. Who is this guy. I had heard the name before, but really nothing about him. I went out and found a list of 30 things about Bay on boston.com. Here are some things i'm pulling out of the list that are important to the Red Sox. These are the ones that I think most important.
1. His first MLB hit was a 9th inning, pinch hit homer off Matt Mantei of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
2. In 2004 he won the Rookie of the Year with a .282 average, 26 homers and 82 RBIs.
3. In 2005 he hit .306, with 32 homers, 101 RBIs and 21 stolen bases.
4. He has one All-Star appearance.
5. In 2006 he set a career high in both homers and RBIs. He hit 35 long balls, and 109 runs batted in.
6. That same year, over a span of 10 days in may, he hit 10 homers.
7. In 2006 as well, he made the Canada team at the Baseball World Classic.
8. Despite an average arm, he had 13 outfield assists in 2007.
9. Bay has only been caught stealing four times over the last four years.
10. His career steel-to-caught ratio is 50-11.
11. Jason's career numbers are a .281 batting Avg, 140 homers and 454 RBIs.
12. Jason has struck out 683 times in his career, and walked only 375 times.
Here is the last one, but it is extremely important so pay close attention.
13. Bay is hitting .421 lifetime (8-19) against Andy Pettitte, .429 (3-7) against Mike Mussina and .500 (1-2) against Joba Chamberlain.