American League Prime Nine: Top MVP Candidates
The hunt for October is coming ever closer. With each day, it's becoming more clear who is making a move in the MVP race and who is fading out of the race.
Here's the weekly update on the top nine Most Valuable Player candidates in the American League.
9. Nick Swisher (New York Yankees)
Last week: 15
Swisher continues to be a productive bat for the Yankees. His numbers are surprising, with his batting average 52 points higher than his career average coming into the year.
Stat (AL Rank)
BAvg: .296 (20th)
HR: 22 (8th)
RBI: 66 (16th)
OPS: .913 (9th)
8. Jose Bautista (Toronto Blue Jays)
7. Adrian Beltre (Boston Red Sox)
6. Paul Konerko (Chicago White Sox)
5. Vladimir Guerrero (Texas Rangers)
4. Robinson Cano (New York Yankees)
3. Delmon Young (Minnesota Twins)
2. Josh Hamilton (Texas Rangers)
1. Miguel Cabrera (Detroit Tigers)
These are the players that were also considered, but missed the cut:
Kevin Youkilis (Boston Red Sox) went on the DL and is out for the season.
.307 avg, 19 HR, 62 RBI, .975 OPS
Justin Morneau (Minnesota Twins) continues to sit out with a concussion.
.345 avg, 18 HR, 56 RBI, 1.055 OPS
Evan Longoria (Tampa Bays) has had a subpar second half.
.288 avg, 15 HR, 69 RBI, .869 OPS
Nelson Cruz (Texas Rangers) would be higher had he not went on the DL.
.325 avg, 15 HR, 60 RBI, .978 OPS, 13 SB
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!