Jordan Cameron Reportedly Agrees to Restructured Contract with Miami Dolphins

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Jordan Cameron Reportedly Agrees to Restructured Contract with Miami Dolphins
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Just one year into his $15 million contract, the Miami Dolphins and tight end Jordan Cameron have reportedly come to an agreement on a restructured deal.

Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald first reported the deal, and James Walker of ESPN confirmed the news.

Rand Getlin of NFL Network reported on Sunday that the Dolphins had been discussing a possible contract restructuring with Cameron, noting the Dolphins were looking to gain cap flexibility. He added that there would be a "minor" reduction in Cameron's compensation, so it's likely the deal would involve some sort of extension.

Cameron made just 35 receptions for 386 yards and three touchdowns last season, despite starting all 16 games. Ryan Tannehill targeted him 70 times, and their 50 percent connection rate was the second-lowest on the team. (Kenny Stills caught just 27 of the 63 passes that went his way.)

“My role is a little different than I thought it was going to be,” Cameron said in December, per Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post

Cameron's role will once again be different under new head coach Adam Gase. The former Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator comes over after showing an affinity for getting tight ends the football. Julius Thomas made 24 touchdown receptions in Gase's two years running the offense in Denver, and Martellus Bennett had 53 receptions in 11 games last season with the Bears. 

Gase has also stated Cameron is part of the team's plans going forward. 

"Obviously the tight end position is something we've made a living on in this offense over the past three years," he said, per Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. "So both those guys (including Sims) I really see a great fit as far as what we do."

Cameron counts for $9.5 million against the cap, per Spotrac, so getting that number down was important. His numbers have taken a precipitous decline since his 2013 Pro Bowl berth, as he's posted fewer than half as many receptions and yards over the last two years as he did in that one campaign.

Scheme changes and injuries have hurt his trajectory, but he was smart to come to an agreement to stay in Miami.

 

Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter.    

Follow B/R on Facebook

NFL

Subscribe Now

By signing up for our newsletter, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Thanks for signing up.