If Terence Newman wants to return for at least one more season, the Minnesota Vikings will not rule out bringing him back.
Continue for updates.
Vikings and Newman Have Talked
Thursday, Feb. 18
Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told the media on Thursday that he and the 37-year-old defensive back have been talking about the two-time Pro Bowler's possible return to Minnesota, per Eric Smith of the Vikings' official website.
“I think Terence still wants to play,” Spielman said. “It’s funny when you talk to these guys right after the season, especially with the emotion that was going on Monday right after the game.
“But when things calm down and you get to the combine, we’ll have a lot of talks with the agents on our team. The process will continue as we get up to the negotiation period. We have plenty of time between now and then.”
Newman had a strong first season in Minnesota, intercepting three passes and starting in all 16 games, and head coach Mike Zimmer even tried experimenting with him at safety last year.
“All options are in play in the future,” Newman told Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star Tribune on Dec. 19. “I think I can still play corner. I can play safety. I’ll do whatever a team asks me to do. I’m still having fun playing football. My biggest thing is trying to stay in the door.”
The Vikings have invested the future of their secondary in young corners Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes (ages 25 and 23, respectively), along with Pro Bowl safety Harrison Smith, and Newman showed last year he's just as vital to Minnesota's immediate future.
Stats courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!