Anthony Smith Receives Life Sentence for Murder: Latest Details, Reaction

Adam WellsFeatured ColumnistJanuary 22, 2016

FILE - In this Oct. 18, 1992, file photo, Los Angeles Raiders' Anthony Smith (94) sacks Seattle Seahawks quarterback Stan Gelbaugh during the second quarter of an NFL football game in Seattle. Smith, a former defensive end with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders, has been found guilty Thursday, Nov. 5, 2015,  in the shooting deaths of two brothers in 1999 and the stabbing death of another man in 2001. Prosecutors say all three had been kidnapped and tortured. His attorney, Michael Evans, says he'll appeal the convictions.  (AP Photo/Gary Stewart)
Gary Stewart/Associated Press

Former Raiders defensive lineman Anthony Smith has reportedly been sentenced to three consecutive life sentences in prison without parole, per TMZ Sports

According to CBS Los Angeles, the '90s NFL player was sentenced Friday for killing three men from 1999-2001. Jurors deadlocked on another count related to the October 2008 death of a fourth man, per ABC 7 in Los Angeles

Smith, who was drafted by the then-Los Angeles Raiders in 1990, was convicted in the November 1999 shooting deaths of brothers Kevin and Ricky Nettles and the June 2001 stabbing death of Dennis Henderson, per ABC 7.

According to the report, Smith's attorney, Michael S. Evans, said he plans to file a motion for a new trial.

Cops said Smith was "part of a group that kidnapped Henderson" before killing him, while the Nettles were kidnapped from a car wash before their bodies were found 8 miles apart, according to TMZ.

The 48-year-old is a former first-round pick (11th overall) who played seven seasons with the Raiders in Los Angeles and Oakland, recording 57.5 sacks in 98 games, before retiring after the 1997 season.