Biogenesis Founder Anthony Bosch Reportedly Will Surrender to DEA

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Biogenesis Founder Anthony Bosch Reportedly Will Surrender to DEA
AP Images

Updates from Thursday, August 7

T.J. Quinn of ESPN has the latest development in the Biogenesis bust:

Major League Baseball officials have contacted the DEA and U.S. Attorney's office in Southern Florida in an effort to unmask the names of any players who might have violated the league's drug policy, sources told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

Federal officials are discussing how to honor the request, which follows months of mutual frustration between MLB and the DEA over their parallel investigations into the Biogenesis clinic and related criminal activity.

Two federal law enforcement sources told "Outside the Lines" Tuesday that a number of previously undisclosed players had been identified through the DEA's "Operation Strikeout," and that they expected those names to be made public through the discovery process of the case. MLB officials, however, are seeking the release of those names as soon as possible in order to begin disciplinary proceedings against the players.

Original Text

Anthony Bosch, who founded the company at the center of MLB's Biogenesis scandal last year, is expected to surrender to the Drug Enforcement Administration on charges of conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids.

T.J. Quinn of ESPN broke the news:

He also reported several associates close to Biogenesis were being brought in for their role with the company. It's alleged the group provided performance-enhancing substances to athletes ranging from professionals to high school students.

While Bosch was working with Major League Baseball, the possibility of being charged was discussed, per Quinn:

Bosch wasn't the only person arrested Tuesday:

Quinn reports even more players could be involved:

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports later reported that there likely won't be any new suspensions handed out by MLB:

More than a dozen MLB players ended up getting suspended for their connection to the Bosch clinic, including prominent hitters like Ryan Braun, Melky Cabrera and Nelson Cruz. All of them aside from Alex Rodriguez, who received a longer ban since the league considered him a repeat offender, have served their full punishment.

Polk County Sheriff/Associated Press/Associated Press
Steroid bust from 2009 (not associated with Anthony Bosch).

In February 2014, Greg Botelho and Quand Thomas of CNN reported the league had dropped its lawsuit against Biogenesis and its founder. That was the expected outcome after Bosch agreed to help with the investigation into players using PEDs.

Of more interest now might be his role in providing steroids to high school athletes.

Julie K. Brown and Jay Weaver of the Miami Herald report Porter Fischer, an employee working for Bosch, provided information that suggested players as young as 16 were getting illegal treatment at the facility:

In July 2013, the Miami Herald published a report that Bosch had also been providing minors with steroid "concoctions." Fischer, in an interview, claimed that 16- and 17-year-old high school players were getting injections at the Coral Gables clinic, a clear violation of the law.

The report also states Bosch and his associates are all expected to go through their first court appearance Tuesday afternoon. More information about how the U.S. Attorney's Office and the DEA plan to move forward should be known after the initial hearing.

It's also noted that no athletes are named or charged, which means no professional leagues should be expecting any further scandal to come from the situation, at least currently.

 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

MLB

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.