Chris Boswell, K, Rice (HT: 6'2", WT: 185 lbs)
|Combine Weigh In|
|6020||185||31 1/4"||8 5/8"|
- Plenty of experience as a four-year starter.
- Legitimate NFL leg strength and has made field goals from beyond 50 years in each of his four years at Rice.
- Despite inconsistent stats as a senior, connected on 40 of 50 field-goal attempts in 2011 and 2012 seasons.
- Consistent accuracy on short and intermediate kicks—made 27 of 29 field goals under 40 yards over past three seasons.
- Has made a handful of clutch kicks late in games throughout his career—kicked a game-tying field goal as time expired versus Marshall in 2012.
- Strong enough leg to excel on kickoffs—57 of his 79 kickoffs in 2013 resulted in touchbacks (72.2 percent).
- Has shown steady improvement in his leg strength throughout his career—touchback percentage on kickoffs rose in each of his three full years as Rice's kickoff specialist.
- Has some experience as a punter (16 career punts in college, 14 in 2012).
- Coming off a disappointing senior year in which he made just 14 of 21 field-goal attempts.
- Only connected on 53 percent of his kicks beyond 40 yards as a senior.
- Limited experience kicking in cold weather, having played high school and college ball in Texas.
- Slightly below average extra-point success, missing at least one attempt in all four years at Rice and eight attempts overall in his career.
- Second team All-Conference USA in 2012 and 2013.
- Participated in Senior Bowl.
- Also played soccer in high school.
- Converted 39 of 43 field goal attempts in high school.
- Fifth-ranked kicker by Rivals in 2009.
Boswell's issues with accuracy during his senior year raise some concern, but he has the leg strength to immediately be a weapon on long-distance field goals and kickoffs in the NFL. His field-goal accuracy must revert back to form in order of hold down a starting job, but his skills will certainly earn him an opportunity to compete for a job this offseason.
Draft Projection: Fifth round