Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State (HT: 6'2⅞" WT: 219 lbs.)
Seventh Round: 236th Pick
|40-Yd Dash||10-Yd Split||Vertical||Broad Jump||Three-Cone Drill||Shuttle|
- Prototypical height and overall size for the position.
- Blend of size and speed ranks among the best in this draft class.
- Workout numbers at the combine were among the top at his position across the board.
- Does a nice job working against the zone and finding the soft spot to show himself to his quarterback.
- Shows great body control when adjusting to poorly placed balls and has shown a knack for coming down with the acrobatic catch.
- Extremely productive college career—over 3,000 receiving yards and 31 touchdowns in his junior and senior years.
- Three-year starter who has remained durable throughout his career.
- Has a reputation as a hard worker and was respected by coaches and teammates.
- More track fast than game fast.
- Tested well at the combine in terms of speed and acceleration, but it doesn't show up on the field.
- Despite his speed, he plays more like a possession receiver due to his struggles to separate, which really showed at the Senior Bowl.
- More fast than he is quick, and he doesn't move in and out of his breaks as well as you'd expect from a receiver with his speed.
- Didn't face a ton of press coverage against lower-level competition and struggled to disengage and fight through it during Senior Bowl practices.
- Nine-inch hands are on the small side, especially for a receiver with his height.
- Makes the difficult catches but will let some easy ones bounce of his hands.
- Wasn't forced to make a ton of contested catches in college.
- Didn't faced many defensive backs capable of challenging him on 50/50 balls, and he'll need to learn how to position himself and use his size against cornerbacks and safeties who can match his physical play and leaping ability.
- Suffered an ankle injury during the Senior Bowl.
|2010||Saginaw Valley State||9||130||14.4||1|
|2011||Saginaw Valley State||48||968||20.2||14|
|2012||Saginaw Valley State||106||1,635||15.4||17|
|2013||Saginaw Valley State||83||1,572||18.9||14|
- Three-year starter.
- Two-time AP Little All-American.
- Two-time GLIAC Offensive Back of the Year.
- Played both receiver and running back in high school.
- Also played basketball in high school.
Janis' measurables and combine performance are hard to ignore, but he's far from a finished product. He wasn't tested at the DII level, and it showed during his week at the Senior Bowl. His physical tools give him a high ceiling, but he is very much a developmental prospect and will struggle to get on the field early in his career.
Draft Projection: 7th Round-UDFA