Lavelle Westbrooks, CB, Georgia Southern (HT: 5’11½”; WT: 186 lbs.)
Seventh Round: 252th Pick
|Combine Weigh In|
|5114||186||32 5/8"||9 3/4"|
|40-yard dash||10-yard split||Vert||Broad||3-Cone||Shuttle|
- He has prototypical size and arm length for an outside cornerback. With teams looking for bigger, more physical corners, Westbrooks has been able to draw interest from many NFL teams.
- Closes quickly on underneath routes, showing good short-area burst to reach the ball and be in position to defend passes.
- Gives great effort in run defense and shows the ability to fill running lanes well. As he gets more experience at cornerback, his technique should continue to improve.
- Good positional versatility, as he is a former safety. Although he is too small to play safety full time, he can rotate around the field in different coverages.
- Recognizes plays well, which allows him to backpedal efficiently against passes or set up to fill his lane against run plays.
- Good tackling ability by lining up with the ball-carrier. As he adds strength, he should be able to become more consistent in tackling efficiency.
- Has quick feet during his backpedal and keeps his shoulders and hips squared. He doesn’t waste steps after the snap, giving himself an opportunity to make a play for the ball.
- Aggressiveness leads to jumped routes and turnovers. The foundations for a playmaking cornerback are there.
- Although very raw, Westbrooks has potential due to his physical ability.
- Instincts on when to jump routes and where the routes are designed to break are very underdeveloped. He is more reactive than proactive at this point.
- Loses his man in coverage due to stiff hips. His inability to turn and run with his assignment in man coverage will limit what schemes he can consistently play in.
- Limited distance speed, as he was burned easily during the 2014 Senior Bowl practices. His 40-yard dash time of 4.63 reflects his limited speed.
- Undisciplined eyes while in coverage, falling for double moves and pump fakes, which allows his man to go deep for an easy pass.
- Although he has potential to be solid, he has a very low floor. He could easily find himself without a secure roster spot. He needs significant technique work.
- Played against poor competition often and looked like just a guy at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine.
- 2014 Senior Bowl participant
- 2014 NFL Scouting Combine participant
- Unranked safety prospect as a high school recruit
Lavelle Westbrooks showed a lot of heart and determination at the Senior Bowl after he was burned a few times by more experienced and athletic receivers, but his physical limitations and inexperience show why he is a major project. He will have to master technique and go to a team that uses off-man or Cover 2 coverages. It’s possible, and Westbrooks is used to defying the odds after being an unranked high school prospect.
Draft Projection: Seventh Round or Undrafted