Updates from Friday, Feb. 28
Incognito talked about smashing up his Ferrari to Fox Phoenix:
When asked about the damages and the baseball bat in the grill he responded, "Oh that was that was just me venting, that was self expression, that's a piece of art. The happiest day of my life was when I got that car and now the second happiest day will be when I donate it to charity," said Richie Incognito.
His Ferrari, now sits, covered, in his garage. Incognito happily posed for a photo of him sitting on top of it and while he declined to take the cover off and reveal what led to the bashing he says he hopes to turn this bad incident into something positive.
"The Ferrari is a story unto itself, the Ferrari is one entity, but I will tell you this the Ferrari is going to be for sale through my mission which is helping the brotherhood, whatever brotherhood it is," he said.
NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reported more on Incognito's current status:
One day after it was reported that Richie Incognito's Ferrari was damaged by a baseball bat, the NFL offensive lineman is taking responsibility for the attack.
Yesterday, TMZ reported that neighbors noticed the car was smashed up with part of a baseball bat sticking out of the front end. At the time, neither Incognito nor the Scottsdale Police Department was available to comment on the matter.
TMZ has now posted an update to the story. The site reports it spoke with police sources that state the cops talked with Incognito, and he claimed it was his own doing:
Now, the Scottsdale Police Department tells us ... they spoke with Richie early this morning and he admitted he took the bat to his own car.
Clearly, Incognito was pissed about something ... but we don't know what set him off.
We reached out to Richie's people for comment—so far, no word back.
Sporting News passed along a photo from TMZ of the damaged Ferrari:
Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun is also reporting that Incognito's teammates have grown concerned about his mental well-being:
Incognito was one of the main players discussed in the Wells Report, which was released following an extensive investigation into the bullying of fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin. The report found a pattern of verbal abuse surrounding the Dolphins.
Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com provided a summary of the findings:
The biggest takeaway from the report: There was a consistent pattern of harassment by Dolphins offensive linemen Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey.
The harassment not only was directed at Martin, but also at an unnamed Dolphins offensive lineman and an assistant trainer.
After the situation first became a major national story, the team suspended Incognito. He's now scheduled to hit the free-agent market once the signing period opens next month.
While Incognito was a productive player in his time with the Dolphins, his future in the NFL is very much up in the air given recent developments. He started 55 games for the team across four seasons, including eight before the suspension ended his 2013 campaign.
Incidents like this one certainly aren't going to help his cause. If the TMZ update is accurate and he decided to personally damage his own expensive vehicle, teams are rightfully going to think twice before considering him as an option.
It's just the latest twist in what has been a bizarre stretch for Incognito.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!