Updates from Wednesday, Feb. 12
Richie Incognito discussed the saga surrounding him on his Twitter account:
Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire "camp". You could have told the truth the entire time.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
Jon Martin---you started all of this when Kenny Zuckerman released the VM to ESPN. The same VM we joked about with @brianhartline— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
Kenny Zuckerman from Priority Sports.... What do you have to say for your actions? Why did you release the VM. What was your goal ?— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
I'm guilty of being a loyal friend and good teammate. I apologize for my poor language and rude remarks. I've never denied it.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
@AlbertBreer 4 months of silence while independent investigation did its job.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
I apologize to all of the women out there that I offended with my text messages to my close personal friend.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
@AlbertBreer the truth will set me free. I can't say the same about Jon Martin. The truth is what he's hiding from— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well. Told me he felt worthless.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
I have no further comment at this time. Please contact my attorney Mark Schamel @WCSRtweet 202-857-4481— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
Updates from Wednesday, Feb. 5
Tom Pelissero of USA Today has the latest on the Dolphins:
Ted Wells will NOT be issuing his #Dolphins report this week. He told NFL before Super Bowl it will be late next week or early the next.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) February 5, 2014
Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald clarified Tuesday that although Incognito is no longer suspended, it does not mean he is part of the Dolphins organization:
NFL wire shows Richie Incognito "suspenion lifted" by Dolphins. Purely administrative. Does NOT mean he's back with team.— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) February 4, 2014
Richie Incognito is no longer under suspension. But he is not part of Dolphins again. He becomes UFA in March.— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) February 4, 2014
Incognito tweeted this on the day his suspension was lifted:
A source previously told Salguero on Nov. 4, 2013, that Incognito was indeed done in Miami:
Richie Incognito remains suspended by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental to the team but his fate on this team long-term is already sealed, a source tells The Miami Herald.
"He's done," a ranking club source said Monday. "There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair. The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here."
Before the suspension, Incognito vehemently denied any wrongdoing and targeted ESPN's Adam Schefter in a string of tweets, claiming that his sources were inaccurate. The tweets have since been deleted from Incognito's official page.
Schefter, though not directly at Incognito, fired back in documenting the voice-mail message Incognito reportedly left Martin, which outlined some of the bullying Martin experienced:
1: Richie Incognito left this VM for Jonathan Martin in April 2013: "Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of (expletive)...— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
2. More Incognito to Martin: "I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. (I want to) (expletive) in your (expl) mouth....— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
3. Incognito VM to Martin: "(I'm going to) slap your (expletive) mouth. (I'm going to) slap your real mother across the face (laughter).— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
4. Incognito to Martin, all on same VM in April 2013: "(Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
However, it appears that Incognito may not necessarily have been the instigator in this relationship. Over 1,000 text messages—many of which are NSFW—exchanged between him and Martin were recently released, per The Big Lead's Jason McIntyre. The messages appear to show few, if any, signs of Martin being bullied and feature the two linemen frequently joking with one another.
The previous implication that Incognito was the prime culprit of the bullying being carried out against his second-year teammate out of Stanford landed him on the team's suspended list after Week 9 for the remainder of the season.
His suspension was meant to end after Miami's Week 15 game against the New England Patriots but didn't, per NFL.com's Dan Hanzus. Nevertheless, Incognito was still paid throughout the year, rather than being released or reinstated.
Incognito is slated to be an unrestricted free agent during the offseason, so he can go as he pleases and get away from this prolonged fiasco.
Schefter reported on Dec. 1, 2013, that head coach Joe Philbin wanted to release Incognito back in 2012 after the lineman allegedly harassed a volunteer at a charity golf tournament.
Where will Richie Incognito play in 2014?
Last summer, several Miami players organized a trip to Las Vegas, where Incognito urged Martin to pay $15,000 in expenses, per ESPN.com's James Walker. That report also noted Martin has sought professional help for "emotional issues," which is at least in part due to Incognito's racially charged voice mail.
The 30-year-old Incognito was selected to his first Pro Bowl in 2012, but his name had been tainted even before this unfortunate incident, once labeled the dirtiest player in the NFL.
Being a tough, relentless pest on the gridiron can actually be an asset to a team in getting under the opponent's skin. Along with the release of the text messages that should help clear up what happened in the bullying saga, Incognito's prospects of playing for another NFL team look a lot better than they have in recent months.