B/R's Consensus Picks

Expert Predictions

Aaron Hernandez Charged With Murder in Odin Lloyd Case

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Aaron Hernandez Charged With Murder in Odin Lloyd Case

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez faces murder charges related to the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd. 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 3:15 p.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

The judge has ordered Hernandez to be held without bail, according to the Boston Globe

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 3:10 p.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

The prosecution has asked that Hernandez be held without bail, according to Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel. 

The defense requested that bail be set. 

---End Update--

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 2:45 p.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

Hernandez has been charged with murder, among other gun-related charges, according to Wesley Lowery of the Boston Globe. 

Lowery and the Boston Globe's Twitter feed also provided more information on the prosecution's case: 

 

The Massachusets State Police tweeted out the formal charges. 

Pro Football Talk points out some more of the prosecution's evidence against the tight end. 

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 2:40 p.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

Christopher Price of WEEI reports that the Patriots likely won't have a hard time recouping the money they've paid Hernandez in his new contract. 

---End of Update---


UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 1:58 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

CBS Boston's Bree Sison sheds light on the scene outside the police station:

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 10:50 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

The Patriots Tweeted that they have released Aaron Hernandez following his arrest:

They released a statement on Hernandez on their team website:

"The New England Patriots have announced the release of tight end Aaron Hernandez following his arrest in the investigation of a homicide last week in North Attleboro, Mass. 

The New England Patriots issued the following statement: “A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

There is also video footage of Hernandez being escorted from his home by police:

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 9:40 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

Massachusetts State Police has released more information on Aaron Hernandez.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 8:50 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

NBC's Michael David Smith has the latest on Aaron Hernandez.

Kathryn Sotnik, freelance reporter for NECN in Boston, documented this morning's event.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 8:45 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

The Associated Press, via Huffington Post, has the latest on the situation surrounding Aaron Hernandez.

A Massachusetts court said Tuesday it has sealed documents related to the killing of a semi-pro football player found dead a mile from the home of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.

Attleboro District Court officials said documents related to the case, including search warrants, have been impounded, meaning the public can't see them. No charges have been filed.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, June 24, at 8:55 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Michael Kay, the lawyer for Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez issued a statement regarding the investigation surrounding his client, per Wesley Lowery of the Boston Globe.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, June 24, at 1:25 p.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

USA Today's Kevin Manahan has the latest on the police investigation in a pond near Aaron Hernandez's home.

Divers from the Massachusetts State Police searched a pond and heavily wooded areas on either side of the street leading into the upscale development where New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez lives, but they found "no evidence," one said Monday morning.

The search halted after about an hour.

When the six investigators first arrived, around 10:15 a.m. ET, two climbed into wetsuits and, with other investigators carrying metal detectors, searched a pond hidden behind dense foliage on Homeward Lane.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, June 24, at 10:20 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

Freelance reporter Kathryn Sotnik of NECN in Boston has the latest on the investigation surrounding Aaron Hernandez. 

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Saturday, June 22, at 5:44 p.m. ET by Eric Ball

It appears as if the police search of Hernandez's house has finally concluded, according to Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News:

According to NFL.com, the police seized multiple bags of evidence but did not take Hernandez with them. 

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Saturday, June 22, at 1:55 p.m. ET by Eric Ball

The situation is escalating, as once again the police have returned to Hernandez's house, according to Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Friday, June 21, at 11:20 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Hernandez "has the right to remain silent in court, but the NFL has the ability to strip from Hernandez the privilege of playing professional football unless he cooperates with authorities to their full and complete satisfaction."

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Friday, June 21, at 7:57 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

FOX 25 adds some details to explain the situation regarding a warrant for Hernandez:

Authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in connection with a murder investigation, according to a source.

A source told FOX 25's Bob Ward that the warrant, for obstruction of justice, was issued early Friday morning. The source says the warrant is what is known as a "paper warrant." State Police are not executing it for the time being.

If the warrant were entered into the system, any police officer could immediately arrest Hernandez.

FOX 25 legal analyst Brad Bailey says the use of a paper warrant is often used as a means of negotiation with a defense attorney.

"It may be that this is a squeeze tactic," Bailey explains. "It may be telling Mr. Hernandez that we have a warrant, a warrant for a crime that has a potential maximum penalty of seven years in prison, is a tactic to get him to come to the table, start talking and start cooperating. And that's where the lawyers may be saying, okay, we got it. You got our attention. We're willing to respond."

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Friday, June 21 at 10:35 a.m ET by Michael Cahill

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com attempts to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the reported arrest warrant issued for the Patriots tight end this morning. 

---End of update---


UPDATE: Friday, June 21 at 10:25 a.m ET by Michael Cahill

There are now conflicting reports on whether or not an arrest warrant has been issued for Hernandez. 

The Boston Globe's Patriots news Twitter account reported that no warrants have been issued. 

---End of update---


UPDATE: Friday, June 21 at 9:51 a.m ET by Michael Cahill

More details have emerged surrounding Aaron Hernandez. The Boston Herald has reported that Hernandez was barred from Gillette Stadium.

Per BostonHerald.com:

Hernandez, 23, was allowed in the building, but staff was waiting for him and instructed him to leave, the source told the Herald.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James would only say that he had no idea why Hernandez came to the Foxboro stadium yesterday.

---End of update---


UPDATE: Friday, June 21, at 8:08 a.m ET by Michael Cahill

Michele McPhee of ABC News reported that an arrest warrant had been issued for Aaron Hernandez:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Friday, June 21, at 7:22 a.m ET by Michael Cahill

According to WBZ NewsRadio 1030, a law enforcement source had this to say:

Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez will be charged in connection with the shooting death of a 27-year-old Dorchester man, a law enforcement source told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 on Friday.

According to that source, an arrest warrant has been issued on a charge of obstruction of justice.

At this time, law enforcement officials have yet to confirm this report. 

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, at 10:30 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

FOX 25 provided new developments in the Hernandez situation:

A law enforcement source told FOX 25 Wednesday night Hernandez appears to be directly tied to the homicide of Odin Lloyd; however, at this point there have been no arrests in the case, but new information gathered Thursday paints a clearer picture as to why Hernandez is the focus of the investigation.

FOX 25's Bob Ward's sources have confirmed that there is video evidence of Hernandez and two other men wearing hooded sweatshirts walking into Hernandez's home within minutes of neighbors hearing gunshots.

Neighbors say they heard the gunshots between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Monday morning, but did not report it to police right away.

Just about an hour before Hernandez was caught on video walking into his home, Hernandez was seen at Lloyd's home in Dorchester.

Boston Globe reporters Mark Arsenault and Meghan Irons added details as well:

Video images taken early Monday morning appear to show New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez together on Fayston Street in Boston with a Dorchester man whose bullet-ridden body was discovered later that day in a North Attleborough industrial park near Hernandez’s house, according to two law enforcement officials.

Hernandez, an up-and-coming NFL star, is not cooperating with the police, according to a law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the investigation.

Existence of the video evidence — and a second video showing Hernandez later that morning in North Attleborough — came to light Thursday as police continued to search the industrial park where the body of Odin L. Lloyd, 27, an acquaintance of Hernandez and a semi-pro football player, was discovered. The source of the videos was not immediately clear.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, at 2:10 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

ABC News' Michele McPhee provides an interesting update on the state of Hernandez's security system and cell phone:

Police are back at the home of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez today with another warrant based on evidence that "he destroyed his home security system,'' an investigator close to the case told ABC News.

The investigator, and other law enforcement sources, confirmed that the security system—which included video surveillance—was smashed intentionally.

And a cell phone used by Hernandez was handed over to investigators "in pieces'' by his attorneys, the sources said.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, at 11:55 a.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

According to Peter Wilson of WBZ-TV, Hernandez was named in the police report from an incident at a Providence night club in May. He provides a few more details about the incident:

Meanwhile, Adam Schefter notes that Hernandez has been the subject of some media attention this morning, while Boston's Fox 25 keeps us informed of the tight end's whereabouts. 

ESPN's SportsCenter Twitter account reiterates that Hernandez has still not been ruled out as a possible suspect:

---End of update---


UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, at 12:30 a.m. ET by Ian Hanford

Hernandez's attorney Michael Fee released a statement early Thursday morning (per CSNNE.com):

It has been widely reported in the media that the state police have searched the home of our client, Aaron Hernandez, as part of an ongoing investigation.  Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 11:13 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel added a few more details to this developing situation:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 10:46 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

Fox Boston reporter Ted Daniel updates on the situation:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 5:10 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

More details are coming to light about the lawsuit filed against Aaron Hernandez over an alleged shooting. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has an update on the situation after reading the police report of the incident.

---End of update---


UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 2:30 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow
In addition to Hernandez's involvement with the murder investigation, TMZ is reporting that the Patriots tight end is being sued for allegedly shooting a man in the face following an altercation at a strip club.
"Bradley claims...After the dispute, both men left the club—and got into the same car which was heading to Palm Beach. During the ride, Aaron allegedly aimed his weapon at Bradley ... and the gun discharged, striking Bradley in the face.   

Bradley claims he suffered major injuries from the gunshot...including the loss of his right eye. 

Bradley also claimed he required major surgery to reconstruct his face...which required plates and screws. Bradley also claims he suffered damage to his right hand and arm, which also required surgery."

---End of update---


UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 10:50 a.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

According to a report from WBZ-TV managing editor Peter Wilson, Hernandez isn't out of the woods yet with regards to the investigation:

---End of update---


UPDATE: Wednesday, June 19, at 7:35 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

NFL.com's Dan Hanzus has the latest from the Patriots and NFL regarding Hernandez's situation:

"Patriots spokesman Stacey James told ABC News: 'I am aware of the reports, but I do not anticipate that we will be commenting publicly during an ongoing police investigation.'

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday morning that the league would have no comment on the investigation."

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 18, at 9:45 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

Sports Illustrated's Greg Bedard adds new information as the police conclude their search of Hernandez's home:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 18, at 7:20 p.m. ET by Tyler Conway

Sports Illustrated's Greg Bedard is stationed outside of Hernandez's house, where police have executed a search warrant and two men left with police:

Bedard noted that the two men left with police:

However, The Sun Chronicle iterated the fact that the two men are not considered in custody:

Bedard also set the stage with a few other tweets:

---End of update---

Original Story: 

A source close to the police investigation told Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel and Greg Bedard that Hernandez is not currently a suspect in the murder, but investigators are interested in searching his home. 

Police reportedly developed an interest in questioning Hernandez after a rental car became an integral piece of evidence in the murder of a 27-year-old Boston man, whose body was found on Monday within a mile of Hernandez's home. It's unclear whether he was murdered in that location or dropped there.

David Linton of The Sun Chronicle in Attleboro first reported that police are looking into the rental of a 2013 Chevrolet Suburban with Rhode Island license plates, which investigators believe is connected to the murder.

Police are currently working with Enterprise, the vehicle's leaser, to dust the vehicle for fingerprints and check for other evidence. Thamel and Bedard's report notes that a source close to the investigation has said Hernandez's name is tied to the rental car. It's unclear whether Hernandez himself rented the car or not.

ABC News' Michele McPhee reported that the man murdered, who was unidentified as of publication, is an "associate" of Hernandez's. ABC News also found out that Hernandez has been uncooperative with police since the investigation began, while Thamel and Bedard have reported the New England tight end has consulted an attorney in the case. 

USA TODAY Sports

Drafted in the fourth round by the Patriots in 2010, the 23-year-old Hernandez is considered one of the most promising young tight ends in the NFL. In 2011, his second pro season, he hauled in 79 receptions for 910 yards and seven touchdowns.

Struggling with injuries throughout last season, Hernandez was unable to maintain a similar level of production. He had 51 receptions for 483 yards and five touchdowns, while only playing in 10 games. Hernandez is currently recovering from shoulder surgery but is expected to be ready for Patriots training camp in July. 

The Patriots organization has refrained from commenting on the investigation. A source close to Hernandez has confirmed that Hernandez did speak with investigators this week, but his representation refused to comment on the matter when contacted by Sports Illustrated.

A spokesperson for the Bristol County District Attorney's Office also declined to speak on the nature of the case.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

NFL

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.