For the 2010-11 seasons (spanning 23 games), Chargers tight end Antonio Gates tallied per-outing averages of five catches, 6.7 targets, 67.8 yards and 0.74 touchdowns.
Here are my top 20 tight ends for Week 1 (points-per-reception leagues).
At the time of this writing, I am assuming Cowboys tight end Jason Witten (spleen injury) won't play on Wednesday night, or at least garner substantial reps.
This countdown simply identifies the (long) weekend's best bets for catches, total yards, touchdowns and receiving targets—a stat that must always factor into lineup strategies with tight ends, receivers and running backs.
(Note: These estimates shall remain fluid through Sunday morning.)
To view my top-20 weekly listing of tight ends in standard-scoring leagues, click here.
Top 20 PPR Tight Ends For Week 1
1. Rob Gronkowski @ Tennessee
2. Jimmy Graham vs. Washington
3. Antonio Gates @ Oakland
4. Aaron Hernandez @ Tennessee
5. Brandon Pettigrew vs. St. Louis
6. Brent Celek @ Cleveland
7. Vernon Davis @ Green Bay
8. Fred Davis @ New Orleans
9. Jermichael Finley vs. San Francisco
10. Jacob Tamme vs. Pittsburgh
11. Tony Gonzalez @ Kansas City
12. Jermaine Gresham @ Baltimore
13. Dustin Keller vs. Buffalo
14. Kyle Rudolph vs. Jacksonville
15. Jared Cook vs. New England
16. Coby Fleener @ Chicago
17. Greg Olsen @ Tampa Bay
18. Martellus Bennett vs. Dallas
19. Owen Daniels vs. Miami
20. Heath Miller @ Denver
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.