Fantasy Football: Who's the Better Week-to-Week QB, Michael Vick or Cam Newton?
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Today's installment of "Choose Your Quarterback" provides an updated look at the NFL's preeminent dual-threat quarterbacks—Michael Vick against Cam Newton, the No. 8 and No. 5 passers in my current rankings of the NFL's 32 presumed starting QBs for Week 1.
Here's a week-by-week fantasy breakdown of Newton vs. Vick...just in case you're torn on which one to covet more on draft day:
Week 1—Newton (@ Tampa Bay) over Vick (@ Cleveland)
Week 2—Newton (vs. New Orleans) over Vick (vs. Baltimore)
Week 3—Vick (@ Arizona) over Newton (vs. N.Y. Giants)
Week 4—Vick (vs. N.Y. Giants) over Newton (@ Atlanta)
Week 5—Newton (vs. Seattle) over Vick (@ Pittsburgh)
Week 6—Vick (vs. Detroit) over Newton (BYE)
Week 7—Newton (vs. Dallas) over Vick (BYE)
Week 8—Vick (vs. Atlanta) over Newton (@ Chicago)
Week 9—Vick (@ New Orleans) over Newton (@ Washington)
Week 10—Newton (vs. Denver) over Vick (vs. Dallas)
Week 11—Newton (vs. Tampa Bay) over Vick (@ Washington)
Week 12—Vick over Newton—Head-to-head matchup (in Philly)
Week 13—Vick (@ Dallas) over Newton (@ Kansas City)
Week 14—Newton (vs. Atlanta) over Vick (@ Tampa Bay)
Week 15—Newton (@ San Diego) over Vick (vs. Cincinnati)
Week 16—Vick (vs. Washington) over Newton (vs. Oakland)
Week 17—Newton (@ New Orleans) over Vick (@ N.Y. Giants)
Newton edges Vick, 9-8
- For opening weekend, I love Newton's chances of registering 275 total yards and/or three touchdowns, the minimum threshold for star fantasy QBs. On the other hand, I doubt Cam will eclipse last year's Week 1 output of 422 yards passing and three TDs.
- If I was a betting man, I'd say Michael Vick's signature fantasy days will occur at Week 6 (vs. Detroit) and Week 9 (@ New Orleans).
- Newton passed for 210 yards or more just three times in Carolina's last eight games; and he only accrued 68 more rushing yards in the latter half of his rookie campaign. That confounding production could be explained one of two ways: Either Newton hit a wall in November or December...or NFL defenses showed vast improvement against him in the season-ending months?
- We're splitting hairs with the matchups from Weeks 1, 3, 4, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16, reiterating just how close Newton and Vick should be in the August drafts. Last year, ESPN.com guru (and fantasy football torchbearer) Matthew Berry touted Vick as the No. 1 overall fantasy asset in standard-scoring leagues. In the last two seasons, Vick has per-game averages of 303.4 total yards and two touchdowns. The potential for dominance is there...Vick just needs to stay on the field.
- Newton (4,757 total yards, 35 TDs last year) has the easier overall schedule, but the differences aren't that profound. For starters, the NFC South and NFC East teams play each other (round robin); plus, Vick catches a break by playing two late-season games in Dallas and Tampa Bay. Bottom line: Both QBs are looking at a maximum of two bad-weather games in November and December.
- Here's a good news/bad news proposition for both quarterbacks: Neither one owns a distinctive edge for the fantasy-playoff period of Weeks 13-16. More importantly, both passers should rank in the top 10 for all four weeks of action.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?