Cleveland's Jeanmar Gomez (2-1, 2.82 ERA, 0.99 WHIP) has two wins and a 2.19 ERA in three career appearances against the White Sox.
Mixed-league roto owners, are you in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before Wednesday's slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (from the majority of 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Jeanmar Gomez, Cleveland Indians (vs. White Sox)
1. In his last three starts, Gomez has a 2-1 record, 2.96 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and a 12/4 K/BB ratio.
2. Gomez (2.82 ERA, 0.99 WHIP for the season) has yet to allow more than three runs in any of his five outings (three starts).
3. In 738.1 innings of minor league work (2006-11), Gomez has posted a 50-40 record, 3.91 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and a 550/240 K/BB ratio. He projects to be a solid No. 4 or No. 5 starter in the big leagues.
4. In nine career appearances at Cleveland's Progressive Field, Gomez has a 5-1 mark, 2.72 ERA and a 31/15 K/BB ratio.
5. In three games against the White Sox (two starts), Gomez has tallied two wins, nine strikeouts and a 2.19 ERA.
The Next Five for Wednesday
1. Anthony Bass (Padres) vs. Rockies—This underrated strikeout machine seeks redemption at Petco Park.
2. Paul Maholm (Cubs) vs. Braves—Maholm has allowed just one run in each of his last three starts (three victories).
3. Jeff Niemann (Rays) @ Yankees—Tampa Bay's No. 5 starter hasn't surrendered more than three runs in any start.
4. Wade Miley (Diamondbacks) vs. Cardinals—Miley has a cool trend of two gems/one sub-par effort...two gems/one sub-par effort. He's due for a great outing.
5. David Phelps (Yankees) vs. Rays—A risky pick here, given Phelps' inability to go more than 5.1 innings in any start.
A Look Back
Tuesday's selection: Philadelphia's Joe Blanton
Final tally: 6.2 innings, four runs, five hits, seven strikeouts and three walks.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.