Red Sox rookie Felix Doubront (3.00 ERA, 1.05 WHIP in his last two starts) has fanned at least six hitters in three of his four outings.
Mixed-league roto owners, are you in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before Tuesday's slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (from the majority of 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Felix Doubront, Boston Red Sox (vs. Oakland)
1. Doubront has respectable numbers in his last two outings: 1-0, 3.00 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 9/6 K/BB ratio. Of similar importance, Doubront went six innings in both starts.
2. The rookie has at least six strikeouts in three of his four outings, and for his only two home games, Doubront has a 14/3 K/BB ratio.
3. In 614 innings of minor league work, the 24-year-old Doubront had a 47-37 mark, 3.65 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and a K/BB ratio of 2.5-to-1 (533/212). He projects as a solid No. 3 or 4 starter in real-world terms for the Red Sox.
4. Weather may be a factor tonight at Fenway Park (good chance of rain, temps in the 40s), ideal conditions for a pitcher against a struggling club.
5. Speaking of which, the A's currently rank dead-last (American League) in runs, hits, triples, RBI and batting average. In other words, as long as Doubront wasn't putting up Francisco Liriano-type numbers, he would have been a strong candidate for today's waiver-wire honor.
At the very least, he should be a shoo-in for six strikeouts and one victory.
The Next Five For Tuesday
1. Jeff Samardzija (Cubs) @ Reds—Lights out at home, noticeably mediocre on the road.
2. Jerome Williams (Angels) vs. Twins—May have the most upside of any Tuesday performer.
3. Charlie Morton (Pirates) @ Cardinals—Excellent numbers to date, although strikeouts are too low.
4. J.A. Happ (Astros) vs. Mets—Happ's usually a strong play for home success.
5. Hector Noesi (Mariners) @ Rays—Low-key, high-upside prospect who may have a breakout against Tampa Bay's lineup.
A Look Back
Last Friday's selection: Seattle's Blake Beavan
Final tally: 5.2 innings, three runs allowed, four strikeouts, zero walks.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.