- Prince Fielder passed his physical, making the two-year/$18M deal official.
- SI’s Jon Heyman has the details of Fielder’s conract – $6.5M in 2009, $10.5 in 2010, a $1M signing bonus and a possible $500K incentive for 500 plate appearances.
- Craig Counsell may be back as Milwaukee utility infielder: He’s truly living every man who resembles a 12-year-old’s dream.
- The aforementioned Heyman names Milwaukee among a short list of teams likely to get deals done before the season: He tabs Oliver Perez as a good fit for the Brewers. For the money he’s looking to get, I disagree. But a backended two-year deal may not be a terrible idea. Unless a trade goes down, I expect a much smaller and less impressive move in Milwaukee’s future.
- Jim Powell is leaving the Brewers broadcast both and returning home to man the booth in Atlanta: Congrats, James and best of luck in the ATL.
- BBKTUTH says Jim Powell’s departure is the toughest loss of Milwaukee’s offseason: My vote goes to CC Sabathia, with Michael Brantley coming in a distant second.
- This Heyward, WI paper calls Brewer fans big losers (for losing Powell): And yet somehow life goes on…
- Keith Law lists the top 100 prospects in baseball: Alcides Escobar comes in 45, Jeremy Jeffress is 49, Angel Salome is 71 and Mat Gamel is 86.
- Cutter Dykstra is No. 10 in Bernie’s Crews’ prospect rankings.
- Nic Ungs is hosting a camp in Iowa: No word on whether Kade will attend this.
- Rattlers manager Jeff Isom expects to field a competitive team this season: Inheriting a Power roster that reached their league’s championship will almost certainly outshine the awful 2008 Rattlers squad.
- Cubs sue Under Armour for backing out of $10.8M ad deal.
- Troy Glaus injured? Well I never!: He’ll miss 12 weeks while recovering from shoulder surgery.
- This Star Tribune writer says Joe Crede would be a good fit for the Twins, and keeps updates on the Twinks’ ongoing negotiations with Eric Gagne: Like I said yesterday, Gagne would be a decent affordable(ish) middle relief option for Milwaukee to consider if their starter search falls through and Seth McClung or Villanueva take the five spot.
- If Gabe Kapler had a nickel for every comeback player award from Jewish publications, he could bail out the economy by now.