
How Can the New York Jets Win 2015 NFL Free Agency?
Free agency is quickly approaching with heightened speculation about which players should be at the top of teams' free-agent wish lists. Unlike last year, the New York Jets are just hoping a list exists.
Gang Green will have $45.5 million in cap space to begin the 2015 offseason. A decision has to be made on Percy Harvin by March 19, per ESPN New York reporter Rich Cimini. Muhammad Wilkerson is also waiting to hear word on a potential contract extension, per Dom Cosentino of NJ Advance Media for NJ.com.
The quarterback talent in this year’s free-agent market won’t solve the Jets long-term issues. According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, Mark Sanchez will be best QB on market, partially based on his strong play in 2014 with the Philadelphia Eagles:
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
"Playing in Chip Kelly’s offense allowed Mark Sanchez to show that he can produce at a high enough level to be a challenger as a starter. He does have a habit of being a high-turnover quarterback, and that continued in Philadelphia, but he takes chances down the field and enables his targets to pick up yards after the catch.
It’s worth noting that he completed a career-best 64.1 percent of his passes in 2014 (second-highest mark was 56.7 percent in 2011).
"

It will be hard to sell Sanchez on returning to a team backed by a fanbase that excessively ridiculed him for one particular play before his unceremonious exit. Sanchez’s potential return would likely result in a start for his second stint in New York.
The dark-horse candidate is Ryan Mallett. According to Kristian Dyer of Metro.us, Mike Maccagnan’s ties with the Houston Texans still run deep, and he is interested in giving Mallett, who spent last season with the Texans, a chance to start in New York:
"The source, who is familiar with the Jets' thinking, said that the team likely 'will be looking in free agency for some real competition for Smith.'
That could mean the Jets making a move for a veteran such as Jake Locker or Brian Hoyer. In addition, the source said that he believes that general manager Mike Maccagnan, formerly of the Houston Texans, is 'intrigued in the idea of Ryan Mallett' being part of the quarterback competition.
'Mallett and the Jets are a natural fit,' the source said. 'He'd be interesting in a quarterback competition to say the least.'
"

Fortunately for the Jets’ quarterback situation, updated mock drafts are predicting Heisman winner Marcus Mariota falling to Gang Green with the sixth overall pick. ESPN NFL Draft Analyst Todd McShay offered hope to Jets fans with his Mock Draft 2.0.
There aren’t enough question marks about Mariota’s game for the Jets to even consider passing on him in the first round. At the very least, New York is aggressively seeking a QB competition and may end up planning a future around Mariota, which is a considerably better outlook than the alternatives.
The Jets would still need a veteran presence to help the Heisman winner soak up the pro-style offense. Sanchez would play the role as a short-term solution and an example for Mariota due to similar skill sets.
Football Outsiders writer Matt Waldman drew the comparison in his initial analysis of Mariota, which could be discouraging:
"Unless Mariota shocks at the Combine, the Griffin and Kaepernick imagery is also too aspirational. A more realistic range of aspirational players for Mariota the prospect are Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez.
These names are downers for the average fan, and the comparison of two underachieving first-round picks to their beloved Heisman winner is bound to make some Oregon fans irate. I'm mentioning these players based on style, not the potential talent or leadership that only comes to the forefront if and when prospects can transition to the rigors of the NFL.
"
Both QBs exhibit the ability to move the pocket and extend plays with above average athleticism. The biggest questions concerning Sanchez are accuracy and the capability to elevate his game when necessary. Mariota received similar criticism from CBSSports Senior Draft Analyst Dane Brugler:
"The Ducks' innovative offense simplifies QB decisions and this is roughly the same scheme Mariota played in high school. As such, some of the basics like taking the ball from under center and scanning downfield while dropping back are skills Mariota hasn't been asked to master yet.
[He's] overly reliant on his first read and occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body. Accuracy can be an issue, as Mariota misses too many open receivers, including high-percentage underneath passes.
"

Sanchez came into the league as the fifth overall pick in 2009 and had a lot of success early before his decline. Who better to help Mariota adjust to the New York limelight and the high expectations that go with it?
Sanchez could return to New York and start as a stopgap QB for two years until Mariota is ready to run offense. Yes, it’s unheard of nowadays to allow your incumbent QB to sit for a year to two before starting, but it’s necessary to help Mariota grasp the scheme transition into the NFL.
Offer Sanchez a two-year $16 million deal ($2 million guaranteed) until Mariota is ready to take the field.
The nostalgia for the Jets doesn’t end with bringing Sanchez back.

Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis are also hitting the free-agent market. The Jets haven’t been shy about expressing interest in potentially bringing both cornerbacks back to New York for a 2011 reunion.
Dyer of Metro.us reports that some familiar faces could be working together again in the upcoming season:
"Sources familiar with Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan's thinking, as well as that of head coach Todd Bowles', tell Metro that the team is 'open and willing' to pursue cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis this offseason should both hit the open market.
Revis, who captured a Super Bowl title with the Patriots Sunday, and Cromartie are former Jets who partnered together for several seasons under former head coach Rex Ryan to form on of the best secondary units in the league.
"
Cromartie is familiar with new Jets head coach Todd Bowles as the defensive coordinator who orchestrated a dominant defense in Arizona. Additionally, the possibilities are endless when arguably the best CB in the league, Revis, and one of the brightest defensive minds in coaching, Bowles, join forces.
After two frustrating seasons with Dee Milliner, an upgrade in the secondary is certainly a need. The addition of either Cromartie or Revis or both would give a much-needed boost to a defense that only recorded six interceptions in 2014. But of course, it’ll cost the Jets heavily.
Cromartie’s contract shouldn’t be a huge burden coming off a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Cardinals. A two-year offer worth $8 million should be sufficient to ink the 30-year-old CB.
On the other hand, Revis is one of the best at his position. At 29, he isn’t showing signs of decline; he was a top-five CB in 2014, per Pro Football Focus.
Expect Revis’ deal to be worth approximately $50 million ($25 million guaranteed) over the course of four years.

The guys who deserve to be paid the big bucks in the NFL are transcendent talents, QBs and the offensive linemen who protect the franchise QB.
Orlando Franklin played exceptionally well in Denver protecting the immobile Peyton Manning. He experienced difficulties early, indicated by his -4.1 penalty rating, per PFF. However, he was the strength of the offensive line, opening running lanes for C.J. Anderson and providing interior protection for Manning.
The Jets should make him one of the highest-paid players at his position or simply outbid the Broncos, who have several key players set to test the free-agent market. A five-year contract worth $37 million ($14 million guaranteed) should be sufficient.

A small portion of the cap space should also be used to re-sign Jaiquawn Jarrett.
In his first start, the fourth-year safety propelled the Jets to a shocking win over the Steelers with one sack, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.
Previously, Jarrett was signed to a two-year, $1.05 million contract. His body of work is still limited, but he has shown enough to warrant another two-year deal worth $3 million ($1 million guaranteed). Signing Jarrett would likely push 32-year-old safety Dawan Landry out of New York.

Theoretically, David Harris would be a solid player to re-sign as a career-long Jet and one of the top inside linebackers set to enter free agency. However, he’s open to taking a pay cut to play for a contender, per Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole.
There’s nothing wrong with Harris’ stance. He’s 31 and wants to compete for a Super Bowl ring before the sun sets on his career. Fine. But the Jets don’t have a franchise QB in place, and that’s clearly a necessity just to reach the postseason.
Will Harris want out if the Jets continue to struggle? Will the Jets get maximum effort from him in another losing season or two?
No offense to Harris’ goals, but New York needs players who are willing to help build this franchise into a contender regardless of the outlook. The Jets were a 4-12 team in 2014. They have new coaching staff in place and a shaky QB situation—that outlook doesn’t bode well for a franchise wanting to be a playoff contender in the immediate future.
The Jets could save millions by converting to a 4-3 base defense and utilizing Demario Davis as the sole inside linebacker. This would shift Quinton Coples to defensive end alongside Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson as defensive tackles.
If Mariota isn't available in the first round, Gang Green would have the option of drafting outside linebacker Vic Beasley or a defensive end such as Shane Ray (Missouri) or Alvin Dupree (Kentucky) to solidify the defensive line.
Advanced statistics provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com and Pro Football Focus
Player contract details provided by spotrac.com

.png)





