Orlando Magic Reportedly Suspending Dwight Howard Trade Talks
The Dwight Howard trade talk that never seems to die is apparently dead as of Wednesday afternoon, as the Orlando Magic reportedly are suspending trade talks with the Brooklyn Nets involving the superstar center.
Will this saga ever end?
UPDATE: Wednesday, July 11 at 4:50 p.m. ET
Believe it not, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan isn't ruling out Howard's return to the team this season just yet, according to Brian K. Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel:
"Hennigan also said he spoke with Dwight today and added "there's a chance, yeah" that Howard could return to ORL. Unbelievable.
— Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) July 11, 2012"
Unbelievable indeed.
__________END OF UPDATE__________
UPDATE: Wednesday, July 11 at 4:25 p.m. ET
David Aldridge of NBA.com reported that Hennigan confirmed a deal with the Nets was in fact dead.
"Magic GM Rob Hennigan confirms (@JRudolphSports first) that the Magic have shelved trade talks w/Nets for Dwight Howard. Keeping himfor now.
— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) July 11, 2012"
However, trade talks in general for Howard have not been suspended, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
"Magic GM Hennigan on reports that Howard trade talks have been suspended: "That's not accurate."
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) July 11, 2012"
And Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Magic intend to operate on its own timeline, not a deadline established today by the Nets.
"Magic GM Rob Hennigan: "We're not confining ourselves to a finite timeline. We're confining ourselves to a timeline we are comfortable with"
— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) July 11, 2012"
__________END OF UPDATE__________
Jarrod Rudolph of RealGM.com first reported that trade talks had been suspended:
"Sources: Orlando Magic have informed Dwight Howard that they are suspending trade talks in favor of finding next head coach.
— Jarrod N Rudolph (@JRudolphSports) July 11, 2012"
"Sources: Magic GM Rob Hennigan told Howard the team tired to make a deal but none of the offers met the team's satisfaction.
— Jarrod N Rudolph (@JRudolphSports) July 11, 2012"
And ESPN's Ric Bucher is also reporting that a deal with the Brooklyn Nets is now dead.
"A potential trade of Dwight Howard to the Brooklyn Nets is dead after a last-gasp attempt to work a trade fell through Wednesday afternoon, a source said.
Sources said the Nets decided they had to know by Wednesday if they could complete a trade for Howard.
"
We've been talking about Dwight Howard being traded for the past year, and it looked like a crazy four-way deal between the Magic, Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Clippers was going to finally end the ordeal.
But that fell through, the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets joined the fray, that never happened, and now we're back where we started from.
That is, with an unhappy Dwight Howard still in Orlando, a Magic front office that has no leverage to make any deals since Howard will only sign an extension with Brooklyn and a whole lot of NBA fans who just want the darn thing to be done and over with already.
Somewhere along the way, Howard went from being known as the NBA's best center to being its most annoying figure. He's no longer the guy who averaged 20.6 points, 14.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game, or the three-time Defensive Player of the Year who could dominate a game in every facet.
Nope, instead he's now the most annoying figure in basketball, claiming the crown from the post-Decision LeBron James.
From his insistence in-season he wanted to be traded, to making a wishlist of teams, to signing on for one more season and finally, to claiming he would only sign an extention with the Nets, Howard has made few fans of late.
And the saga goes on.
Hit me up on Twitter—my tweets dominate like the Williams sisters at Wimbledon.





.jpg)




