Yankees Reportedly Buy Back YES Network for $3.4 Billion

Mike Chiari@mikechiariFeatured ColumnistMarch 8, 2019

New York Yankees' Aaron Judge runs to third base on a double by Didi Gregorius during the first inning of the team's baseball game against the Kansas City Royals on Thursday, July 26, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Frank Franklin II/Associated Press

The New York Yankees have agreed to a deal with Disney to buy back the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network (YES) for $3.4 billion, according to Fox Business on Friday.

While the Yankees previously owned 20 percent of YES with 21st Century Fox owning the remaining 80 percent, the organization decided to purchase YES fully from Disney after Disney purchased Fox's assets for $71.3 billion.

YES airs Yankees games and other Yankee-related programming, Brooklyn Nets and New York City FC games and The Michael Kay Show, which is a popular sports talk radio show based in New York.

As part of the sale, the Yankees are reportedly partnering with Amazon, Sinclair Broadcast Group and Blackstone Group. The partnership could lead to some Yankees games being streamed by Amazon in an effort to reach a wider audience.

The Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network officially launched in 2002, and it has been the primary home to Yankees baseball ever since.

Disney was ordered to sell the YES Network and the other 21 Fox Regional Sports Networks to meet federal antitrust laws since Disney also owns ESPN.

Buoyed by the purchase of the YES Network, 2019 could be a huge year for a Yankees franchise that is in search of its 28th World Series title. New York reached the American League Championship Series two seasons ago and was knocked out by the rival Boston Red Sox in the American League Division Series last season.

Despite having not reached the World Series since 2009, the Yankees are tied with the Red Sox and Houston Astros for the best odds to win the 2019 World Series at +600 (6-1), per Bovada.

Related

    Roy Halladay's Drug Addiction Exposed in ESPN Doc

    MLB logo
    MLB

    Roy Halladay's Drug Addiction Exposed in ESPN Doc

    USA TODAY
    via USA TODAY

    Michael Kay to Scherzer: 'You Have Not Taken a Pay Cut! You Have Not Worked!'

    New York Yankees logo
    New York Yankees

    Michael Kay to Scherzer: 'You Have Not Taken a Pay Cut! You Have Not Worked!'

    nj
    via nj

    Ranking the 5 Greatest 2B in Yankees History

    New York Yankees logo
    New York Yankees

    Ranking the 5 Greatest 2B in Yankees History

    Leen Amin
    via Elite Sports NY

    Ex-Mets Minor-Leaguer Rips Tim Tebow, Organization

    MLB logo
    MLB

    Ex-Mets Minor-Leaguer Rips Tim Tebow, Organization

    Blake Schuster
    via Bleacher Report