
Boston Red Sox Trade Rumors: Tracking Hot Updates, News and Reaction
For as disappointing as things were for the Boston Red Sox in the first half of the regular season, those ready to abandon ship and leave the team for dead could be making a major mistake.
While the club sits five games below .500 (42-47) as the regular season gets set to resume, the Red Sox are within seven games of a playoff spot, whether it be the division crown or a wild-card berth. That offers a glimmer of hope that things could turn around quicklyย with the right moves.
Addressing the starting rotation is a must for general manager Ben Cherington, and you can be sure that the rumor mill will be picking up speed on that front as the July 31 trade deadline gets closer.
Keep it here for the mostย up-to-the-minute rumblings about the Red Sox along with analysis and everything else that comes with it.ย While theย post dateย will always show as July 15, simply click to the next slide to see the latest from the rumor mill as Boston tries to bolster itself for the stretch run.
Done Deals
1 of 6
July 27: Traded OF Shane Victorino and cash to Los Angeles Angels in exchange for INFย Josh Rutledge
July 31:ย Acquired RHP Ryan Cook from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for a player to be named later
Boston Is Trying to Move Mike Napoli
2 of 6
Thursday, July 30 at 11:35 a.m. ET
Boston is actively looking to move first baseman Mike Napoli, reports Nick Cafardo ofย The Boston Globe. The team had reportedly spoken with both San Francisco and St. Louis about the 10-year veteran, but the Giants didn't see a fit while the Cardinals obtained Brandon Moss from Cleveland earlier this morning.
Cafardo mentions the Chicago White Sox, Houston Astros and New York Mets as potential landing spots for the 33-year-old, who can become a free agent at season's end.
July 27: Traded Shane Victorino to Angels
3 of 6
Monday, July 27 at 6:05 p.m, ET
The Boston Red Sox haveย tradedย outfielder Shane Victorino and cash to Los Angeles Angels in exchange for infielderย Josh Rutledge.
Friday, July 24 at 6:45 p.m, ET
It's all speculation, but CBS Sports' Jon Heyman opines that Baltimore's search for a corner outfielder could bring the Orioles to Boston, with an eye on Shane Victorino.
The 34-year-old hasn't done much this season and isn't likely to bring back anything substantial in a trade, but if the Red Sox were to pick up whatever's left of his $13 million salary, they could perhaps increase both their potential return and his attractiveness as a short-term rental for a contender.
Red Sox Relievers Drawing Interest
4 of 6
Friday, July 25 at 6:20 p.m. ET
Both Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara are drawing interest from contending clubs, reports CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, though no specific teams have been linked to either one.
Tazawa, 29, has delivered a solid performance in middle relief for the Red Sox, pitching to a 2.88 ERA and 1.06 WHIP with 41 strikeouts over 40.2 innings of work. Under team control for one more year, he figures to be the more valuable of the two.
Uehara, 40, hasn't been quite as dominant as he's been in recent years but has still put up quality numbers as Boston's closer, pitching to a 2.67 ERA and 0.89 WHIP with 38 strikeouts over 33.2 innings, converting 22 of his 24 save opportunities along the way.
Considering his age and $9 million salary for 2016, moving Uehara could be a difficult task without the Red Sox picking up some of that remaining salary.
Red Sox Have Interest in Some of Cleveland's Pitching
5 of 6
Update: Friday, July 24 at 4:18 p.m. ET
Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthalย says that Bostonย and theย Los Angeles Dodgersย are the latest clubs to inquire about some of Cleveland's starting pitching, which the team says would take aย โvery compelling dealโ for them to part with.
Toronto has been linked to Carlos Carrasco (viaย Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan), and the 28-year old would make sense for the Red Sox, who have previously been said to be targeting young, controllable pitching.
Carrasco has gone 10-7 with a 3.94 ERA (2.81 FIP) and 1.17 WHIP in 19 starts this season, walking only 24 batters while striking out 128 over 114.1 innings of work. He's under team control through at least the 2018 season.
As for what might constitute a "very compelling deal," Cleveland might very well demand that the acquiring team taking Michael Bourn or Nick Swisher off its hands, as the pair are due $14 million and $15 million, respectively, next year.
While neither one would be an ideal option, Swisher could bridge the gap in 2016 at first base between Mike Napoli and whoever the Sox have in mind as a long-term solution.
Boston Is Targeting Young, Controllable Starters
6 of 6
Despite Boston's glaring need for an established ace atop its rotation, WEEI.com's Rob Bradford hears the team has little interest in adding a short-term rental such as Johnny Cueto or an expensive long-term investment such Cole Hamels to the mix. Instead, the Red Sox are seeking young, controllable starters.
While that may seem counterproductive for a team that already has some high-end young arms in the majors and the upper levels of its farm system (Brian Johnson, Henry Owens and Eduardo Rodriguez among them,) it makes sense in the long run.
Even with pockets as deep as Boston's, adding a player due significant money, such as Hamels, would hamstring the team's flexibility moving forward.
As forย Cueto or another short-term rental, the Red Sox would likely have to surrender some of their young arms, which could create an even bigger hole heading into 2016 if that new addition left after the season as a free agent.
Really, the question now is, what are the Red Sox willing to surrender in exchange for those young arms? One of their outfielders? Some of their young position players? A combination of both?ย



.jpg)




.png)
.jpg)



