Jason Pierre-Paul's decision to play with fireworks over the Independence Day weekend may wind up costing him in the long and short term. The New York Giants reportedly withdrew an extension offer following the incident, and the two sides were unable to come to an agreement on an extension to keep the defensive end on the roster long-term.
Continue for updates.
Pierre-Paul to Play Under Franchise Tag; Waiting to Sign Tender
Wednesday, July 15
With the deadline for the Giants and Pierre-Paul to reach an agreement on a new contract having passed, the star defensive end will officially play under the franchise tag in 2015, via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.
On July 10, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Pierre-Paul wants to wait on signing his franchise tender until he can pass a physical, in an effort to keep the Giants from putting him on the non-football injury list.
On July 8, it was revealed that Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated and suffered thumb fractures in the incident, which could keep the defensive end out for six weeks, via Bleacher Report NFL Insider Jason Cole.
The next day, Cole reported what he was hearing about the state of the relationship between Pierre-Paul and the Giants after his fireworks accident:
Rapoport (via Kevin Patra of NFL.com) reported on July 6 that the Giants rescinded their $60 million contract offer after Pierre-Paul was hospitalized following an incident with fireworks over the Fourth of July weekend. However, a source told Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post the report was "100 percent false."
Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News also noted the Giants had been getting most of their information from Pierre-Paul's agent instead of the player himself, hampering negotiations to the point that the Giants "don't feel comfortable even talking about a long-term deal with him anymore."
Rapoport reported the Pro Bowl defensive end was hospitalized on July 4 after a firework malfunctioned and injured his hand, per Dan Hanzus of NFL.com.
"Our first concern is for JPP's well-being," a Giants spokesperson told Rapoport, via Patra.
Pierre-Paul, 26, made 77 tackles and recorded 12.5 sacks last season. He received the franchise tag after being unable to agree with the team on a long-term contract, which will pay him a guaranteed $14.8 million for 2015. It's unclear if the Giants plan to take further action at this time. The team could consider withdrawing the contract with cause because Pierre-Paul suffered a non-football injury.
Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter.