New York Mets Trade Rumors: Latest Updates and Reaction
The New York Mets enter the dog days of summer destined for their fifth straight season of losing baseball. Locked into fourth place in the NL East, the Mets have positioned themselves as sellers with MLBโs July 31 trade deadline fast approaching.
General manager Sandy Alderson will attempt to move veteran players like Marlon Byrd, John Buck and Shaun Marcum. All three players are signed to one-year deals and are unlikely to return to the Mets next season. Unfortunately, the Mets wonโt garner much in return for these relatively low-cost veterans, but they will be happy to pass the salary on to another club.
Meanwhile, the Mets are in desperate need of position players for the 2014 roster. Alderson has insisted that the Mets will acquire veteran talent in free agency but could pursue a trade prior to the deadline in order to avoid a bidding war this winter.
The question is which of the Metsโ prospects is Alderson willing to trade? Weโll certainly find out in the coming weeks.
Check back here for breaking news, updates and rumors from now until the trade deadline hits.
Update: Mets Remain Intact Following Trade Deadline
1 of 7Posted: July 31 at 4:30 PM EST
As promised earlier this month, the Mets have stood their ground and kept the team intact following today's 4:00 PM EST non-waiver trade deadline.
The Reds, Pirates and Rangers expressed interest in right fielder Marlon Byrd, but it doesn't appear that a deal was ever close. The Mets demanded a top prospect in exchange for Byrd, but received offers of just low-level prospects, according to Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.
The decision to keep Byrd is perplexing, considering he's under a one-year, $700,000 contract and unlikely to be on the team next season.ย
Earlier this month, the Mets insisted that they didn't want to deal Byrd for fear of sacrificing "2013 competitiveness." Byrd currently leads the Mets in home runs (17) and RBI (60).
There's no indication that the Mets were ever close to dealing closer Bobby Parnell.ย
Update: Mets Silent as July 31 Deadline Nears
2 of 7Posted: July 25 at 4:00 PM
It appears that there was truth to earlier reports that said the Mets may stand pat prior to the July 31 MLB trade deadline.
According to recent reports, the Mets haven't entered in to trade talks concerning outfielder Marlon Byrd or closer Bobby Parnell.ย That's likely because the Mets are simply demanding too much for their top commodities.ย
""Regarding the trade deadline, a team official says the Mets 'haven't had any action yet,' on Byrd or Parnell," tweeted Mike Puma of the New York Post.
"
The Mets are only willing to part with the 28-year-old Parnell if they're "blown away" by an offer. As for Byrd, the Mets aren't willing to trade their team leader in RBI (57) ย and home runs (17) to sacrifice "2013 competitiveness."
With the trade deadline under a week away, the Mets are neither seller or buyers, but holders.ย
Report: Mets Unlikely to Deal Marlon Byrd Before Deadline
3 of 7Updated: July 14th at 11 AM
The Mets won't trade Marlon Byrd prior to the July 31 trade deadline unless they get "something serious" in return, according to Jim Duquette of MLB.com.ย
Mets GM Sandy Alderson echoed those sentiments prior to Saturday night's loss the Pirates.ย
"โIf what we can get for the future exceeds the value of the present, weโd have to look at that. But weโre not anxious to do it. We want to remain competitive,โ Alderson said, according to MetsBlog.
"
Byrd has vastly exceeded New York's expectations this season. He's been the Mets' second-best weapon behind David Wright. Through 89 games, Byrd leads the team with 15 home runs and 49 RBI. He's currently on pace to shatter his career-high of 20 home runs.ย
Also, throw in the fact that Byrd is making just $700,000 this season and the Mets are inclined to keep the 35-year-old outfielder for the remainder of the 2013 campaign.
However, Byrd is unlikely to be on the team next season and at nine games under, the Mets are hardly in a position to make a run to the postseason.
New York might just be posturing for a better offer, but it'd make the most sense for GM Sandy Alderson to get what he can for Byrd while he remains hot.ย
Update: Shaun Marcum Will Miss Remainder of the Season
4 of 7Posted: 6:40 PM on July 9thย
Mets' starter Shaun Marcum is out for the season, according to a report by WFAN's Ed Coleman (h/t MetsBlog).ย
Marcum had been suffering from pain in his upper back and numbness in hands. He visited a nerve and circulatory specialist earlier this week in St. Louis.
Marcum's season-ending injury means that the Mets will be forced to eat the remainder of his $4 million salary. In 12 starts this season, Marcum was 1-10 with a 5.29 ERA, but had been pitching better than his stats may indicate.
The 31-year-old began the season on the disabled list due to inflammation in his pitching shoulder and didn't make his first appearance until April 27.
The Mets likely would've attempted to trade Marcum, but that clearly won't be an option in light of his injury.ย
Report: Mets Might Be Quiet at the Trade Deadline
5 of 7Posted: July 9th at 1:30 PM
The Mets might not be buyers or sellers leading up to this summer's July 31 trade deadline, according to a report by ESPN's Adam Rubin.
Instead, the Mets could choose to stand pat with their current roster in tact. Rubin cites a team insider who said the Mets aren't actively shopping players underย organizationalย control such as Ike Davis, Bobby Parnell or Daniel Murphy.
Of course, that doesn't mean the Mets wouldn't listen to offers, especially those concerning high-impact players like Carlos Gonzalez or Giancarlo Stanton.
The report also states that the Mets might choose not to deal Marlon Byrd, who is making just $700,000 this season, in fear of sacrificing "2013 competitiveness."ย
Similarly, the Mets chose not to deal outfielder Scott Hairston prior to last season's trade deadline. Hairston signed with the Cubs in the offseason and was traded to the Nationals earlier this week.
However, the Mets would trade Byrd for prospects who could help the Mets in the near future.
Rumor: Mets Won't Trade Bobby Parnell
6 of 7Posted on July 8 at 10:50 AM
Closer Bobby Parnell is New York's most valuable trading chip, but the Mets aren't likely to trade the 28-year-old, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News.
Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal added that the Mets won't trade Parnell unless they're "blown away" by an offer.ย
Parnell has come into his own during his first full season as the Mets' closer. Parnell has converted 15 of 18 save opportunities this season. In 39 appearances, Parnell is 5-4 with a 2.48 ERA in 40 innings pitched and hasn't allowed a home run this season.
The Mets' refusal to trade Parnell clearly indicates that general manager Sandy Alderson views him as an essential part of the team's return to contention. Parnell is earning $1.7 million this season and is arbitration-eligible at the end of the season.ย
Parnell would certainly be a valuable addition for a contender this season, but the Mets seem content to hold on to their closer.
Rumor: Mets Haven't Taken Offers for Marlon Byrd
7 of 7Posted: July 8 at 10:40 AM
The Mets have yet to take any calls about Marlon Byrd, according to Marc Carig of Newsday.
The 11-year veteran has far exceeded New York's expectations this season. Byrd has been the Mets' most consistent offensive threat from the outfield after being signed for just $700,000 this past offseason.
Heโs hitting .265/.310/.486 with 43 RBI, while his 14 home runs are tied for the team lead with John Buck.ย
The 35-year-old Byrd could serve as a productive bat off the bench or fourth outfielder for a contending team.ย Unfortunately, the loss of Byrd will deprive an outfield already bereft of major league talent, but there's simply no value in holding on to him.



.jpg)

.jpg)

.png)





