NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

Calling True or False on Monday's Transfer Rumours

Joe KrishnanJun 3, 2013

For the majority of clubs in Europe, the summer transfer window has only just begun. But a select few have already made their early approaches to secure the best players in football.

Arguably the most ambitious club of the summer so far has been Monaco, who have pulled off a number of coups already, bringing in Porto duo James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho for a reported fee of £60 million, per The Guardian.

But the biggest surprise was Monaco's signing of Radamel Falcao, beating a number of clubs to the Colombian's signature. Monaco spent a whopping £50 million on the Atletico Madrid forward for their Ligue 1 title charge next season, per BBC Sport.

In terms of other clubs, the market has been quiet so far, although with speculation flying about regarding transfers and managerial changes, it seems that could change very quickly.

Here's a round-up of the latest rumours, where we rate the level of truth behind them. Be sure to let us know your thoughts on what the media are speculating today.

Jose Mourinho Set to Finalise Chelsea Return

1 of 5

It's been a season to forget for Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, and one gets the feeling that the "Special One" is ready to return home to where he gave himself the title.

According to BBC Sport, the Portuguese coach told Spanish television show Punto Pelota that he would be the coach of Chelsea "between Monday and the end of the week".

Mourinho was pictured at Heathrow airport on Sunday, per The Guardian, after reportedly flying into London to finalise the details of his Chelsea return, just 24 hours after leading Real Madrid to a 4-2 victory over Osasuna.

After months of speculation, it seems that the Blues will finally get their man after Rafa Benitez's departure to Napoli. After he left Chelsea six years ago, it's now only a question of when Mourinho's second stint in West London will be confirmed.

Verdict: TRUE

Liverpool Look to Christian Benteke to Replace Luis Suarez

2 of 5

With Luis Suarez announcing his intention to leave Liverpool after becoming unsettled in England, it seems that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will need to find a replacement before selling the Uruguayan forward.

And reports in the Daily Mail suggest that Aston Villa's highly-rated striker Christian Benteke could be the man whom the Northern Irish coach chooses to replace his star striker.

The Belgium international has had a storming first season in the Premier League since a £7 million move from Genk last summer, repaying the money spent on him by notching an impressive total of 19 goals in 34 appearances.

It's his superb performances that have turned heads all around Europe, with Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund all keeping tabs on his situation at Villa Park.

But with the possible sale of Suarez, it could be Liverpool who stump up the £20 million that it would cost to convince Paul Lambert to sell his towering forward.

However, while it would be difficult for Benteke to turn down a move to a bigger club, Goal.com report that the player's agent says he is happy to stay for the time being. 

Verdict: False

Jesus Navas Interested in Following Manuel Pellegrini to Manchester City

3 of 5

Manchester City are to hold talks with Manuel Pellegrini after the Chilean coach admitted he has a "verbal agreement" with the club, and one La Liga player is rumoured to be following him to the Premier League.

Sevilla winger Jesus Navas has reportedly told Marca that he likes Manchester City and admitted that he was "grateful" for the attempts by the Lancashire-based club to bring him to the Etihad Stadium.

Due to recent financial difficulties, it appears that the Andalusian club may be forced to sell if the Citizens come in with an offer, and The Sun believe that it could take around £25 million to bring the World Cup winner to the Premier League.

Navas, 27, has been at Sevilla since the age of 14, and the Spain international has made over 280 La Liga appearances for Los Rojiblancos, scoring 23 goals.

But after he publicly addressed the press about his future, it seems that his 13-year association with the club could be coming to a close.

Verdict: True

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Tottenham Line Up Move for Benfica Star Rodrigo

4 of 5

With only Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor the recognisable strikers at the club, Spurs coach Andre Villas-Boas is said to be scouring the market for a new forward.

And one of the top targets for the North London outfit is Benfica star Rodrigo, the Spain Under-21 international who moved to Portugal in 2010 after starting his career at Real Madrid.

The 22-year-old is no stranger to the Premier League climate, spending part of the 2010-11 season on loan at Bolton under Owen Coyle, and according to the Mirror, Villas-Boas sees the Brazilian-born youngster as an ideal addition to the squad.

It would take a bid of at least £10 million to get Benfica to consider setting up a deal with Spurs, although with Rodrigo seemingly happy in Lisbon, there's no indication to suggest he would want to leave.

Additionally, Tottenham's failure to secure Champions League football next season would be a step down for the forward, as Benfica secured an automatic qualification spot by finishing second.

Verdict: False

Borussia Dortmund Move for Lukas Podolski to Replace Robert Lewandowski

5 of 5

Arsenal could face a fight to keep their German striker Lukas Podolski at the club just a year after signing him from FC Köln.

If reports from the Daily Mail are to be believed, the 27-year-old forward is wanted by Champions League runners-up Borussia Dortmund, who are resigned to losing star striker Robert Lewandowski this summer.

Podolski had an impressive debut season in North London, scoring 16 goals in all competitions for the Gunners. He also scored the opener within nine seconds in the 4-2 win over Ecuador for Germany.

It seems that Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp may be looking at the Polish-born striker to replace Lewandowski, who is set to leave the Signal Iduna Park. 

But with Arsene Wenger seemingly happy with his purchase, and the former Bayern Munich player happy with life in London, the 110-cap man may be staying in the Premier League for the foreseeable future.

Verdict: False

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R