Knicks Rumors: Latest Free Agent Buzz and More
Despite a distinct lack of cap room, the New York Knicks are destined to be a bevy of activity this offseason. They will be looking to add players with their exceptions, and also possibly orchestrate some sign-and-trade deals.
New York needs depth in their frontcourt, and they need a point guard—actually they need a couple. Jeremy Lin is free to field offers from other teams, the Knicks can match that offer, but there is a chance they could feel the price has risen to high. Either way, they need to add at least one more PG to this roster.
As is always the case with New York, there are going to be a ton of rumors and news regarding this franchise. Keep it locked on this page as we update you with all the new tidbits as they come out.
Marcus Camby Could Bring His Ageless Defense Back to the Big Apple
1 of 11UPDATE: Sunday, July 8 at 7:15 p.m. by Richard Langford
Marcus Camby is 38, but he can still bring it on defense, and there is a good chance he will be bringing it for the New York Knicks next season.
Camby is a free agent, and ESPN's Jared Zwerling had reported hearing from sources that Camby would be interested in heading back to the Big Apple.
However, the Knicks have too many holes to blow their mid-level exception on Camby. This next scenario is a much better proposition for New York.
Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski passed along that the Knicks are one of two front runners to land Camby in a sign-and-trade.
"New York and Brooklyn are frontrunners in sign-and-trade talks to acquire Houston's Marcus Camby, league sources tell Y!
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 8, 2012"
This would leave the Knicks with their mid-level exception, and it would bring in some needed interior defense.
Jeremy Lin and Houston Rockets Agree to Multi-Year Deal
2 of 11Some scary news for the New York Knicks and their fanbase has just been reported.
Update: Thursday, July 5 at 7:45 p.m. EDT by Sam Quinn
"The Rockets have agreed to terms with Jeremy Lin, source said.
— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 5, 2012"
NBA.com's David Aldridge reported the details of the deal:
"Source confirms Rockets have committed a 4 yr, $30M sheet to NYK guard Jeremy Lin. NY will have 3 days to match when moratorium ends next wk
— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) July 5, 2012"
That's unnerving to say the least.
After signing Jason Kidd to a three-year deal, the Knicks will have to scrounge up whatever funds they have if they want to bring back Lin. The 23-year-old star is a restricted free agent, meaning that the Knicks can match whatever offer another team extends to him.
According to Sam Amick, they will do just that:
"With Jason Kidd shocking Mavs and opting for NY, source says Knicks still expected to match Jeremy Lin offer sheets. They want 1-2 PG punch.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) July 5, 2012"
Thanks to Lin and Steve Novak winning their Bird Rights case last month, the Knicks can go over the salary cap to retain Lin's services.
Stay tuned for the latest.
---End of Update---
Update: Thursday, July 5 at 5:55 p.m. EDT by Ryan Rudnansky
Uh oh. Looks like Lin is asking for more money from the Rockets, which means it's going to be hard for the Knicks to compete given their current situation.
Ian O'Connor of ESPNNewYork.com tweeted on Thursday:
"Jeremy Lin wants more $ than reported $31 million offer from Houston, according to league source. #Knicks facing a hefty match
— Ian O'Connor (@Ian_OConnor) July 5, 2012"
Update: Thursday, July 5 at 5:37 p.m. EDT by Ryan Rudnansky
With the news that Jason Kidd signed with the Knicks on Thursday, there was some concern in New York that the franchise would opt for Raymond Felton over Jeremy Lin as the starter.
However, it appears the Knicks are still dead-set on keeping Lin, per Sam Amick of SI.com:
"With Jason Kidd shocking Mavs and opting for NY, source says Knicks still expected to match Jeremy Lin offer sheets. They want 1-2 PG punch.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) July 5, 2012"
Update: Thursday, July 5 at 2:25 p.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
Knicks fans can now officially sit on pins and needles as point guard Jeremy Lin is close to finalizing a deal with the Houston Rockets.
Yahoo! Sports Adrian Wojnarowski reports via Twitter that Lin and the Rockets are discussing an offer sheet and are working on the "structure," of the deal.
"Jeremy Lin and Rockets still discussing offer sheet, source says. They're working on the "structure" of deal. Knicks have right to match.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 5, 2012"
If Lin signs the Rockets offer sheet, the Knicks will have three days to match it, once Lin can officially sign it on July 11.
-----End of Update------
Knicks Sign Jason Kidd
3 of 11Update: Thursday, July 5 at 5:36 p.m. EDT by Ryan Rudnansky
There's been some talk that the Knicks may go after Raymond Felton instead of Jeremy Lin lately, but it appears New York is still set on re-signing Lin.
Sam Amick of SI.com tweeted on Thursday:
"With Jason Kidd shocking Mavs and opting for NY, source says Knicks still expected to match Jeremy Lin offer sheets. They want 1-2 PG punch.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) July 5, 2012"
Update: Thursday, July 5 at 4:48 p.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
In what has been a crazy 24 hours among NBA free agent point guards, unrestricted free agent Jason Kidd has spurned the Dallas Mavericks to sign with the New York Knicks.
ESPN's Marc Stein reports via Twitter that Kidd is leaving Dallas to sign a multi-year deal in New York.
"In another unforeseen twist of this wild offseason, sources say Jason Kidd has decided to leave Mavs and join Knicks on a multiyear deal
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 5, 2012"
It was reported earlier that Kidd had reached a three-year deal with Dallas for around $9 million, but according to sources close to Stein, the deal with the Knicks is for similar money.
It's unknown still if Jeremy Lin will be a New York Knick when the season begins, but chances are that Kidd was signed to be a mentor to Lin.
----End of Update----
Knicks Leaders to Sign Raymond Felton
4 of 11Update: Thursday, July 5 at 8:05 a.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
After losing out on point guard Steve Nash and potentially having to make a tough decision on current point guard Jeremy Lin, the Knicks have turned their attentions to free agent Raymond Felton.
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News reports via Twitter that the Knicks have become the favorites to sign Felton.
"Knicks have emerged as favorites to sign Raymond Felton, the Daily News has learned.
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 5, 2012"
It wouldn't be the first time Felton has signed with the Knicks as he signed with the franchise in 2011 and got off to a good start before being included in the Carmelo Anthony trade. Felton was a good fit in former head coach Mike D'Antoni's offense, but on paper doesn't seem like a great fit in Mike Woodson's slower attack.
At minimum though, Felton would be the veteran backup that the Knicks are searching for to backup Lin, should they re-sign him.
---- End of Update------
Jeremy Lin to Visit Houston Rockets
5 of 11Thursday, July 5 at 5:55 p.m. EDT by Ryan Rudnansky
Remember when the Knicks had Jeremy Lin for practically nothing?
Well, if they want him for longer they are going to have to pay the price. The Rockets are in the same boat.
Ian O'Connor of ESPNNewYork.com reported on Thursday:
"Jeremy Lin wants more $ than reported $31 million offer from Houston, according to league source. #Knicks facing a hefty match
— Ian O'Connor (@Ian_OConnor) July 5, 2012"
Update: Wednesday, July 4 at 6:22 p.m. EDT by Jesse Reed
According to the New York Post's Marc Berman, the Houston Rockets are prepared to offer Lin a contract:
"A league source said Lin will be offered a contract today — maybe in the $30 million range — in a back-loaded nature similar to the one the Rockets offered Bulls big man Omir Asik...The source said the Rockets will offer Lin $5 million, $5.2 million and then plan to jack up the third and fourth years to as much as $10 million.
"
This may not mean much in the end, though, as the Knicks have are reportedly planning on matching any offer that Lin receives from another team, according to MSG's Alan Hahn, via Sulia.com.
--------End of Update--------
Update: Tuesday, July 3 at 2:55 p.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
The news keeps getting worse for the New York Knicks this offseason as ESPN's Chris Broussard reports via Twitter, that point guard Jeremy Lin will visit the Houston Rockets on Wednesday.
"Jeremy Lin will visit the Houston Rockets tomorrow, sources say.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 3, 2012"
HoopsWorld's Alex Kennedy reported earlier that several teams have been showing interest in Lin and that one team has considered offering the young point guard a "poison pill," contract, which would be devastating to the Knicks down the road.
Landry Fields Signs Offer Sheet with Raptors
6 of 11Update: Tuesday, July 3 at 1:35 p.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
The New York Knicks potentially suffered their first casualty of the offseason as ESPN's Marc Stein has reported that swingman Landry Fields has agreed to a three-year offer sheet.
"Just going up online and via SportsCenter: Raptors and Knicks' RFA Landry Fields have agreed to three-year offer sheet
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 3, 2012"
When the deal can be officially signed on July 11, the Knicks will have three days to match.
Sources say that Fields will sign a three-year offer approaching $20 million.
Other Teams Interested in Jeremy Lin
7 of 11Update: Tuesday, July 3, at 10:45 a.m. EDT by Matt Shetler
As expected, restricted free agent point guard Jeremy Lin is attracting interest from around the league.
HoopsWorld's Alex Kennedy reports that Lin has received interest from a number of teams including the Toronto Raptors, Dallas Mavericks and Brooklyn Nets.
The New York Knicks can match any offer sheet that Lin signs, but one of the interested teams could offer the 23-year-old a backloaded contract that makes the Knicks reconsider.
Kennedy also notes that one of the teams has considered offering Lin a "poison pill," deal which would put the Knicks in a very tough spot. A large pay raise in 2014-15 would cause problems for the Knicks, who will already owe $61.5 million to Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler.
That means the Knicks would be repeat offenders of the luxury tax.
Kennedy also says that the Knicks haven't offered Lin a contract yet an will let the market determine his value.
Will Knicks Wait Around on Chris Paul?
8 of 11Many around the NBA think Chris Paul is still interested in joining the Knicks, according to a Sunday tweet by Knicks beat writer Frank Isola:
"Lot of NBA execs believe Chris Paul is still hoping to find a way to get to the Knicks...won't happen this summer. Maybe next July
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 1, 2012"
If the Knicks are going to sign Paul, though, they will have to wait until he is a free agent in 2013. With that being said, they can't afford to sign Steve Nash or another big-name point guard if their sights are set on Paul.
Much like the Dallas Mavericks this past season, NY would have to settle for a sub-par season in 2012-13 in order to make a run at Paul during free agency next July.
Is Sign-and-Trade Knicks' Best Shot at Landing Steve Nash
9 of 11According to The New York Post, the Knicks are looking into a potential sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns in order to acquire veteran point guard Steve Nash and to be able to pay him more than the mid-level exception.
If the Suns take on some of NY's contracts in a sign-and-trade, then the Knicks would be able to pay the elite passer more, while at the same time offering a shot at contending for the NBA crown next season.
The Knicks have been interested in Nash for a long time now, and this looks to be their best shot at landing the two-time MVP.
Was Raymond Felton the Answer at PG All Along?
10 of 11Former New York Knicks point guard Raymond Felton is on the team's radar according to a Sunday report by Marc Berman in The New York Post:
""Felton made sweet music with Stoudemire on the pick-and-roll in Mike D’Antoni’s Knicks offense in the first half of the 2010-11 season. Felton loved D’Antoni’s offense, and new coach Mike Woodson has tried to keep some of D’Antoni’s principles."
"
Felton averaged 17.1 points and nine assists per game two seasons ago with the Knicks, but was traded to Denver in the move that brought Carmelo Anthony to the Big Apple.
Berman makes a great point however, Felton has proved he can excel playing alongside Amar'e Stoudemire, and he is much more attainable for NY.
Will Knicks Hold onto Jeremy Lin?
11 of 11Update: Thursday, July 5 at 5:55 p.m. EDT by Ryan Rudnansky
Will the Knicks hold onto Lin?
Don't be so sure, despite their assurances.
Ian O'Connor of ESPNNewYork.com tweeted on Thursday:
"Jeremy Lin wants more $ than reported $31 million offer from Houston, according to league source. #Knicks facing a hefty match
— Ian O'Connor (@Ian_OConnor) July 5, 2012"
--END OF UPDATE--
The NY Knicks can retain point guard Jeremy Lin after his Bird rights arbitration case was settled last week, according to CBSSports.com.
Still, Lin is an unrestricted free agent, and could draw interest from several teams in need of a young floor general this summer. The question is: What is he worth to NY?
If the Knicks acquire Steve Nash or Raymond Felton, they will likely wave goodbye to Lin. On the other hand, what happens if they don't acquire a next level PG, do they sign Lin for the long run?
Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter For More Reaction to the Latest NBA Free Agency Buzz.





.jpg)




