West Ham vs. Liverpool: Score and Reaction from 2016 FA Cup 4th-Round Replay

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
West Ham vs. Liverpool: Score and Reaction from 2016 FA Cup 4th-Round Replay
Clive Rose/Getty Images

Liverpool came back from a goal down against West Ham United at Upton Park to force extra time on Tuesday, but an Angelo Ogbonna header settled the match in the 120th minute, giving the Hammers a 2-1 win in an enthralling FA Cup fourth-round replay.

Michail Antonio opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time for the Hammers, but Philippe Coutinho grabbed an equaliser immediately after the restart on his return from injury. The scoreline was 1-1 at full time, allowing Ogbonna to grab a late extra-time winner. 

West Ham coach Slaven Bilic rotated goalkeeper Darren Randolph into his side, with Ogbonna replacing James Collins at centre-back and Joey O'Brien coming in at right-back.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp shuffled the pack for his team selection; Jon Flanagan and Brad Smith came in at full-back for Liverpool, with Tiago Ilori and Kevin Stewart completing an inexperienced back four.

Kirsty Wigglesworth/Associated Press

Neither team were able to express themselves in front of goal in the opening moments, as the pendulum wildly swung back and forth. It was the home side who had the best chance during the early action, as O'Brien's deflected effort cannoned off the post.  

The visitors maintained possession more convincingly than Bilic's men, but it was the hosts who looked more dangerous in the final third of the pitch.

Footballer Joey Barton was enthralled by the early play:

However, the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg was not impressed with the Hammers:

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

Despite Liverpool establishing a tactical and territorial foothold, it was West Ham who struck first.

Enner Valencia found Antonio at the far post with his deflected cross, and the winger tucked his effort away with aplomb with just seconds of the first half remaining.

Presenter Mark Pougatch hailed the atmosphere and the magic of the Cup:

However, Liverpool did not have to lick their wounds for too long after the restart, as Coutinho scored three minutes into play from his return from injury. 

The Brazil international expertly slid the ball under the wall past Randolph from a free-kick, as shared on social media:

OptaJoe highlighted the clever set piece:

The Hammers had a big shout for a penalty after the hour mark as Valencia was hauled back by his arm, with Liverpool's Ilori making deliberate contact. 

TV replays clearly showed the infringement, but the officials were not convinced by West Ham's original claim.

Much like the first 45 minutes, Liverpool dominated the ball, as Christian Benteke battled to get involved. Klopp, desperate to avoid extra time, threw on Daniel Sturridge from the bench as the match rushed towards the final whistle.

Clive Rose/Getty Images

Benteke had a curling free-kick saved by Randolph, who was in fine fettle during the match, and Liverpool pushed hard for a winner in the final 10 minutes. 

A spectacular long-range effort from Mark Noble almost won the tie for West Ham at the death, but Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet took the sting out of the shot and denied the midfielder. 

Clive Rose/Getty Images

Gasps from the crowd were heard as the fourth official announced eight minutes of injury time at the end of the game, and Sturridge nearly capped off his return to action with a winner. But Randolph once again saved.

The Hammers had a second big shout for a penalty as they claimed a handball in an electric conclusion to normal time, but the referee again refused to blow his whistle. The game ended in stalemate, triggering extra time after a frantic Cup tie.

Rory Smith of the Times hailed the performance of Klopp's side:

OptaJoe highlighted Liverpool's incredible fixture schedule:

West Ham had the best of the play in the opening minutes of extra time, as Liverpool looked tired against the freshly motivated Hammers.

However, the Reds counter-attacked and almost scored, but Benteke could not make the most of two gilt-edged chances. Firstly, the striker volleyed wide, and then he hit his shot at Randolph when cleanly through on goal.

Liverpool were fighting like a boxer on the ropes and looked dangerous every time they counterpunched at West Ham's back four, with Sturridge looking mobile and dangerous. The England international went close in the second period of extra time, curling his shot just past the upright of the bar.

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

The Anfield giants looked the most likely to grab a winner in the last minutes, as they pummelled the Hammers' goal with little recourse. Sturridge and Flanagan both went close, but West Ham survived by the skin of their teeth.

But as the clock passed 120 minutes, West Ham won a free-kick and swung the ball into the box. Ogbonna outjumped the Liverpool defence and powered his header home to score a dramatic late winner, as Upton Park exploded in delirium.

It was a cruel end to the game for Klopp and Liverpool, but West Ham took their chance when it seemed penalties would decide their fate.

Post-Match Reaction

Klopp was clearly emotional after the match, as he watched his team fall to a late goal. However, the manager was philosophical in his appraisals, per Jim Boardman of the Mirror:

West Ham advance to the fifth-round of the competition, where they will meet Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

Follow B/R on Facebook

World Football

Subscribe Now

By signing up for our newsletter, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Thanks for signing up.