FA Cup Results: Analysis for Chelsea vs. Stoke City, and All the Matches

Michael Cummings@MikeCummings37World Football Lead WriterJanuary 25, 2014

FA Cup Results: Analysis for Chelsea vs. Stoke City, and All the Matches

0 of 8

    Ian Walton/Getty Images

    The 2013-14 FA Cup continued with a full schedule of fifth-round matches the weekend of January 24-26.

    Premier League leaders Arsenal kicked off the weekend with a 4-0 win at home to League One side Coventry. On Saturday, Liverpool and Manchester City were among the top-flight teams in action.

    The weekend is set to conclude with two more matches on Sunday, including Chelsea's match at home to Stoke City.

    In the following slides, we take a look at all the matches.

Chelsea 1-0 Stoke City

1 of 8

    Sang Tan/Associated Press

    Oscar scored the only goal as Chelsea advanced to the fifth round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 victory at home to Stoke on Sunday at Stamford Bridge.

    The lone tally came in the 27th minute, when Oscar curled a free kick into the top corner. But while the Blues dominated this fourth-round tie, they were unable to convert their many chances into a second goal.

    It was a seventh straight victory in all competitions for Jose Mourinho's side, who showed no ill effects following the transfer of playmaker Juan Mata to Manchester United on Saturday. Instead, both Oscar and Eden Hazard excelled once again in their creative roles as the Blues created wave after wave of attacks in both halves.

    Mourinho made five changes to the side that defeated Manchester United in the league last weekend, with January signing Nemanja Matic made his first start.

    The Blues broke through in the 27th minute via a superb piece of individual skill by Oscar. After Eto'o won a free kick on the right, Oscar curled his shot over the wall and beyond Begovic's reach at the far post to give Chelsea a 1-0 lead.

    It turned out to be the only goal of the game, though Chelsea came close multiple times in the second half. Frank Lampard came close with a well struck volley from distance in the 76th minute, and Samuel Eto'o bundled a shot wide with the goal gaping one minute later following Hazard's excellent dribbling down the left. 

    David Luiz came closer still in the 84th minute with a fiercely struck free kick from outside the box, but Begavic reacted just quickly enough to punch the ball away.

Sheffield United 1-1 Fulham

2 of 8

    Michael Regan/Getty Images

    Hugo Rodallega rescued a replay for Fulham as they came from behind to draw 1-1 with 10-man Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Sunday.

    Chris Porter had given the League One side a 31st-minute lead when he turned home Harry Maguire's shot at goal.

    But the Premier League appeared to have been denied a penalty moments later when United goalkeeper George Long seemed to have brought down Rodallega.

    Seven minutes into the second half, the home side were reduced to 10 men when Michael Doyle was dismissed for an off-the-ball clash with Fulham midfielder Chris David.

    Referee Andre Marriner dismissed another spot-kick appeal in the 70th minute when Ryan Flynn was felled by a challenge from Fulham defender Aaron Hughes inside the box.

    And five minutes later, great work by Adel Taarabt and Muamer Tankovic set up Rodallega to fire home the equaliser from the edge of the area.

    Fulham could have won the tie in the 83rd minute, but Philippe Senderos' thunderous header crashed back off the crossbar.

Manchester City 4-2 Watford

3 of 8

    Sergio Aguero scored a second-half hat-trick as Manchester City survived a scare against Watford, beating the League Championship side 4-2 after trailing by two goals at half-time.

    Watford built a 2-0 lead at the break through goals by Fernando Forestieri (21') and Troy Deeney (30'), but City responded with four goals after half-time to advance to the fifth round.

    Aguero started the comeback with a close-range finish in the 60th minute, then he leveled the score 18 minutes later with a shot from the edge of the box.

    Aleksandar Kolarov put City ahead in the 87th minute with a long shot that slipped through Watford goalkeeper Jonathan Bond's grasp. Aguero then completed his hat-trick and sealed the points with a header in stoppage time.

    "The whole team didn’t do the things that we normally do in the first half," Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini said, per MCFC.co.uk. "The most important thing for me is that Watford didn’t score the third goal. If they’d have scored that, the game would have been finished."

Bournemouth 0-2 Liverpool

4 of 8

    Victor Moses and Daniel Sturridge scored in either half, as Liverpool moved into the fifth round with a composed 2-0 victory at Bournemouth on Saturday. Luis Suarez assisted both goals.

    Liverpool went ahead in the 26th minute through Moses, who caught Bournemouth goalkeeper Lee Camp unprepared at his near post. Suarez recorded the assist with a cross-field pass. 

    Sturridge doubled Liverpool's lead in the 60th minute, side-footing past Camp at the far post after being set up by Suarez's through ball.

    Sturridge nearly scored Liverpool's third 12 minutes later, but his chip bounced off the top of the crossbar, with Lee scrambling to cover his line. Suarez also chipped a shot over the bar in the 76th minute after racing free behind the Bournemouth defence.

Stevenage 0-4 Everton

5 of 8

    Steven Naismith scored twice in the first half as Everton eased to a 4-0 victory at League One side Stevenage.

    But the win was marred by a serious injury to Everton midfielder Bryan Oviedo, who suffered a broken leg and was taken to the hospital, per @Everton.

    Naismith got the Toffees off the mark in the fifth minute, finishing from Aiden McGeady's pass after Kevin Mirallas' initial shot had been saved.

    Oviedo was then injured trying to block a shot by Simon Hislop in the 17th minute. The Costa Rica international was stretchered off the pitch after a lengthy delay.

    Naismith doubled Everton's lead in the 32nd minute after capitalising on a mistake by Jon Ashton. After half-time, Johnny Heitinga's 55th-minute header made it 3-0. Magaye Gueye sealed the win with Everton's fourth six minutes from time. 

Saturday's Other Games

6 of 8

    Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

    Birmingham City 1-2 Swansea City

    Swansea City had to come from behind to record a win over their Championship opponents after Lee Novak hit yet another FA Cup goal early on.

    Midway through the second half, though, Swansea turned the game on its head with two Wilfried Bony goals in the space of three minutes.

    Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Cardiff City

    A single second-half goal was enough for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's new charges to see off the threat of Bolton Wanderers, as his good start to life as Cardiff City boss continued.

    Frazier Richardson scored early on after the re-start, having only come on as a sub at half-time.

    Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

    Charlton recorded a 1-0 win away from home by knocking out Huddersfield Town.

    The result was something of an upset, with Charlton struggling near the foot of the Championship and with just two wins away from home all season. Simon Church scored the decisive goal on 55 minutes.

    Port Vale 1-3 Brighton & Hove Albion

    League One side Port Vale could not hold off Championship opposition in Brighton, as the Seagulls swept through by a 3-1 scoreline.

    Rohan Ince and Chris Robertson traded strikes early on before a mis-hit cross from Solly March ended in the back of the net to restore Brighton's lead. Jon Obika scored the third late on.

    Rochdale 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday

    All the goals came in nine frantic minutes in the second half at Rochdale, with Championship side Sheffield Wednesday doing enough to squeeze through to the fifth round.

    Joe Mattock and Oguchi Onyewu scored within six minutes of each other to put Wednesday in control before Michael Rose's long-range strike put the home side back in the game. A late red card for Mattock could have been costly, but the away side saw the game out.

    Southampton 2-0 Yeovil Town

    Premier League side Southampton easily saw off Championship strugglers Yeovil with a dominant display and a 2-0 win despite a much-changed side.

    Guly do Prado ended his long scoreless streak from the penalty spot midway through the first half, before a first senior goal for Sam Gallagher sealed the win.

    Southend United 0-2 Hull City

    There was no upset at Southend, as the League Two promotion-chasing side were beaten by Premier League outfit Hull City.

    A goalless first half gave way to two Matty Fryatt strikes in the second, with his brace coming in injury time at the end of the match.

Friday's Games

7 of 8

    Arsenal 4-0 Coventry City

    Lukas Podolski scored a first-half double to lead Arsenal into the last 16 with a comfortable win at home to Coventry.

    Podolski struck in the 15th and 27th minutes to put Arsenal up 2-0 at half-time. Coventry fought back with a spirited start to the second half, but Arsenal added two late goals to put a bit of gloss on the scoreline.

    Substitute Olivier Giroud made it 3-0 in the 84th minute with a first-time finish at the near post. Five minutes later, Santi Cazorla scored the fourth, bouncing in the rebound after Carl Jenkinson's initial shot was saved.

    Gedion Zelalem made his first-team debut for Arsenal as a second-half substitute. The 16-year-old became Arsenal's first player to be born after Arsene Wenger took over as manager in 1996.

    Nottingham Forest 0-0 Preston North End

    Forest and Preston played out a scoreless draw at the City Ground.

    The teams will hold a replay on Feb. 4 at Deepdale.

Sunday's Schedule

8 of 8

    Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

    Two more matches are scheduled for Sunday (times are GMT):

    - Chelsea vs. Stoke City, 3:30 p.m.