
Mets Suddenly on the Verge of Strong Offensive Youth Movement
For years, the New York Mets have told a simple, compelling story. It's been all about pitching.
It was a happy story in 2015, when New York rode its stable of young arms to a National League pennant.
It was something closer to a tragedy in 2016, when Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom and Steven Matz all went down with injuries.
TOP NEWS

Assessing Every MLB Team's Development System ⚾
.png)
10 Scorching MLB Takes 🌶️

Yankees Call Up 6'7" Prospect 📈
Despite the presence of bolt-throwing Norse god Noah Syndergaard, New York fell in the National League Wild Card Game.

Entering 2017, the Mets are hoping for durability from those four arms, as well as Zack Wheeler, who is working his way back from Tommy John surgery.
This spring, though, a new story is emerging. Suddenly, New York has some burgeoning bats.
It begins with shortstop Amed Rosario, the sport's No. 5 prospect, according to MLB.com. The 21-year-old is hitting .267 in the Grapefruit League and has duly impressed his skipper.
"He's shown me everything that needs to be seen," manager Terry Collins said of Rosario, per Mike Puma of the New York Post. "He hasn't hit for power in camp, but you know he's got it. He's got great hands, he's got great poise on the field and he loves to play, got great energy."
Rosario won't make the Opening Day roster but appears to be on the fast track to Queens.
He's not the only one.
Michael Conforto, who debuted in 2015 and played 109 games last season, is hitting .323 in the exhibition slate.

He's also making a compelling case for playing time in an outfield populated by $110 million lineup anchor Yoenis Cespedes and veterans Curtis Granderson and Jay Bruce.
The Ringer's Zach Kram neatly summarized the Conforto conundrum:
"Conforto is a better hitter than Bruce right now, and he compares favorably to Granderson, albeit with a less sturdy floor. In Conforto’s minor league career, moreover, he slashed .330/.402/.522, including an eye-popping .422/.483/.727 mark in Triple-A last year. Sending him back to the minors or yo-yoing him between Triple-A Las Vegas and Queens won’t do anything for his development, and neither will sitting him on the bench five days a week.
"
Add Juan Lagares, the only passable defensive center fielder in the Mets' outfield, and you've got a genuine jumble.
Oops, and here's another piece by the name of Brandon Nimmo.
The 23-year-old has gone 10-for-21 in exhibition action but strained his hamstring Sunday playing for Team Italy in the World Baseball Classic, per MLB.com's Austin Laymance.
Or how about Gavin Cecchini? Yes, he's overshadowed in the middle infield by Rosario. But he was also the 12th overall pick in the 2012 amateur draft and is 7-for-14 with two doubles and a home run this spring. The kid is knocking on the door.
None of this is to say the Mets need to adopt a full-bore kid-a-thon. Maybe Granderson and Bruce will pull their weight.
Look at this squad, though, and decide for yourself.

Granderson will be 36 come Opening Day. Bruce turns 30 in April. Creaky first baseman Lucas Duda is 31. Troubled infielder Jose Reyes is 33. Potentially (or maybe fully) broken third baseman David Wright is 34.
You get the picture.
The Mets could use an infusion of new blood in the batter's box as they try to maintain contact with the Washington Nationals and fend off upstarts like the Miami Marlins, Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies (aka every other club in the NL East).
There are no guarantees, as New York's skilled-yet-snakebitten pitching contingent can attest.
It's a group worth betting on, though. It is simply compelling.
Sometimes, that counts for a lot.



.jpg)







