
Austin Davis Named Browns Starting QB vs. Bengals: Latest Comments, Reaction
Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine announced on Wednesday that Austin Davis will be the team's starting quarterback against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. Johnny Manziel will serve in a backup role.
Andrew Gribble of the Browns' official site passed along comments from Pettine about the decision. The coach felt Davis' performance in relief of the injured Josh McCown against the Baltimore Ravens last week warranted another look.
"Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win," Pettine said. "He's been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well."
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
However, Pettine didn't commit to Davis as the team's starter for the rest of the season, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer, saying, "It's safe to say now that this is a weekly thing."
On Sunday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport (via Conor Orr of NFL.com) reported, "There is a chance we see Manziel again this season, perhaps as early as next week when the Browns take on the 49ers in Cleveland." He continued:
"Though it is largely dependent on current starter Austin Davis, the thinking is that Cleveland will more than likely close the season out with Manziel. Davis could take the team on his shoulders with a surprising performance against the Bengals this Sunday and along with it, validate Pettine's decision to keep Manziel on the bench. Davis is 26 after all, and played well in stretches for the Rams a year ago. Brett Favre once likened him to fellow undrafted quarterback Kurt Warner.
"
McCown will miss the rest of the season with a broken collarbone. The injury raised questions about whether Manziel, who was recently demoted to third on the depth chart due to off-field issues, would be given another opportunity to start.
"I don't want to get into punishment, length of it," Pettine said about Manziel, per Cabot. "Where we had placed him and what happened, Davis deserves it."
Davis appeared in 10 games for the St. Louis Rams last season and posted a respectable 85.1 passer rating.
The 26-year-old Southern Mississippi product completed seven of his 10 throws, including a 42-yard touchdown to Travis Benjamin, in the team's 33-27 loss to Baltimore last week. Cincinnati's 15th-rated defense, which ranks third in interceptions with 14, will represent a tougher test this weekend.
In the bigger picture, uncertainty around Manziel's future will continue to linger following the decision. The Browns invested a first-round pick in him during the 2014 draft, but his inability to stay out of the headlines for his off-field choices has caused problems.
NFL on ESPN provided remarks from analyst Tim Hasselbeck about the different factors in play when it comes to the Heisman Trophy winner's future:
Manziel continued to flash promise when given chances earlier in the season. He tossed five touchdowns and just two interceptions en route to an 88.4 passer rating. While he needs playing time to develop, it's unknown whether he possesses the dedication to become a franchise quarterback.
However, Pettine did mention how Manziel could get on the field in the season's final weeks against the San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs, saying, per Cabot, "Just continue to work. These are two players we want to see play'."
For now, the Browns aren't ready to reward him with another chance to start. That opportunity goes to Davis, who will try to build off last week's showing and end the six-game losing streak that's dropped the team's record to 2-9.

.png)





