
5 Veterans the Pittsburgh Steelers Must Part with Before 2015 Season
Free agency is underway in the NFL, and the 2015 draft approaches, so it's the time of year for teams to make changes to their rosters. Though this week is more about additions than subtractions, roster cuts are another main component of the offseason.
Though some cuts aren't possible because of the depth-chart problems or salary-cap issues they would leave in their wake, it is still worth looking at five players the Pittsburgh Steelers should move on from in 2015. Without further ado, here they are.
S Troy Polamalu
1 of 5
The Steelers are in limbo presently when it comes to the 2015 playing status of safety Troy Polamalu. The Steelers would like him to retire (h/t CBS Sports) rather than to release him outright; however, Polamalu's agent, Marvin Demoff, said last week to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Mark Kaboly that "Troy is still determining whether he wants to retire or try to play in 2015. We will make a decision fairly soon, but [it is] not imminent."
The situation didn't get any closer to resolution this week. Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert released a statement Monday that said as much: "At this time, we do not have an update on Troy Polamalu or his contract status. We will continue to communicate with Troy and his representatives regarding his future."
Polamalu is heading into his 13th season in the NFL and turns 34 years old in April. His skills are in decline. He's no longer the unpredictable, speedy, instinctive captain of the defense, as his 2014 stat line suggests: 61 tackles, zero sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovered and just one pass defensed.
Should the Steelers release him, they would save $3.75 million and accrue $4.5 million in dead salary cap; however, if they cut him with a June 1 designation, they would save $6 million and have just $2.25 million in dead cap space, according to Over the Cap. If the stalemate continues, expect the Steelers to do the latter at some point soon.
QB Landry Jones
2 of 5
Last week, the Steelers added another quarterback to their roster—Tajh Boyd, who most recently spent time with the New York Jets. Boyd will likely be competing with Landry Jones for the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback job this year; however, the Steelers should just install Boyd in that roster spot and cut Jones loose.
Jones, a 2013 fourth-round draft pick, hasn't been able to beat out backup Bruce Gradkowski in his two years with the Steelers and has not been active for a single regular-season game. Though he's shown improvement in the preseason from Year 1 to Year 2, increasing his completion percentage from 45 percent to 61 percent, he threw only a combined 224 yards in three preseason games in 2014.
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert does not sound too optimistic about Jones' ability to improve enough to rise up the depth chart, let alone someday replace Ben Roethlisberger.
He said in February: "Has [Jones] progressed to the point where he beat out Bruce as the No. 2? No. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I think when you have young guys, at least they have that chance to grow... If they grow, great. If they don't, then you look for others."
Since the Steelers have another young quarterback in Boyd, the time is right for them to cut Jones. And doing so wouldn't hurt their financial bottom line, either, with his release costing the Steelers $219,610 in dead money in 2015 while adding $475,195 in cap space, according to Over the Cap.
S Mike Mitchell
3 of 5
Pittsburgh signed safety Mike Mitchell during last year's free-agency period to replace Ryan Clark after Mitchell spent four years with the Oakland Raiders and one with the Carolina Panthers. His 2013 season with Carolina was the best of his career, as he totaled 66 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, four interceptions and eight passes defensed.
He didn't quite have the same success in his first season in Pittsburgh. Though he totaled a career-high 71 tackles, he had zero sacks, just three passes defensed and two forced fumbles. According to Pro Football Focus, Mitchell struggled in coverage, allowing receptions on 75 percent of the passes thrown his way for 210 yards and two touchdowns to no interceptions. He also had eight missed tackles and amassed four penalties.
Mitchell is a hard hitter, yes, but his tackling is weak and his coverage skills are even worse. If the Steelers could move on from him in 2015, they likely would. But with Polamalu halfway out the door, a lack of depth at the position on the roster and few affordable free-agent options or high-quality draft prospects available, there is no chance that Mitchell and the Steelers will part ways this year.
Further complicating that is the financial situation. Mitchell restructured his contract last month to free up cap space, which means the Steelers would not recoup any cap savings by releasing him, per Over the Cap. Circumstances dictate the Steelers are stuck with Mitchell for at least one more season.
OT Mike Adams
4 of 5
Former Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams lobbied the Steelers heavily to get a shot to play for his hometown team and turn his life around after a positive drug test dropped him off their draft board in 2012. He succeeded, being selected by the Steelers in Round 2 of that year's draft.
He was given ample opportunities on a Steelers offensive line that had been ravaged by injuries. He played 497 snaps in his rookie season, according to Pro Football Focus, playing 10 games at right tackle. Though he showed promise as a run-blocker, his pass protection was lacking—he gave up seven sacks, three quarterback hits and 16 hurries in his first year.
Understandably, Adams' leash was short in his second year, and in fact he was benched after Week 4 for his poor performance. However, injuries forced him back onto the field, playing seven games at left tackle and seven on the right, for a total of 485 snaps, per PFF. He allowed four sacks, eight quarterback hits and 24 hurries.
With the Steelers' line stabilizing in 2014, Adams' playing time dwindled to just 372 snaps. Still, he allowed two sacks, two hits and 14 hurries. With the Steelers now having true starting offensive tackles in Marcus Gilbert and Kelvin Beachum, the team should turn elsewhere for its depth on the line.
Further, cutting Adams would cost the team just $254,300 while adding $873,225 in cap space, according to Over the Cap. Pittsburgh can fine higher-quality tackle depth for a similar price. The Steelers know what they have in Adams, and it's not much. He's not destined to start, so it's time to move on.
DE Cam Thomas
5 of 5
The Steelers signed defensive end Cam Thomas during last year's free-agency period to add depth at a thin position. However, he didn't pick up the defense as quickly as expected despite his four seasons' worth of experience with the Seattle Seahawks. Because of Thomas' deficiencies—and partly because 2014 rookie Stephon Tuitt was, well, a rookie—the Steelers brought back Brett Keisel in August.
Thomas played 443 snaps in 2014, totaling just 18 tackles and 0.5 sacks. He was particularly poor as a run defender, enough so that Pro Football Focus ranked him dead last among defensive ends in a 3-4 base defense.
Given that the Steelers have again released Keisel and still have a similar crisis of depth at the position, it's not likely that they will be able to cut Thomas. They can only hope to limit his playing time. If they do choose to move on, it would save a significant chunk of change—$2 million versus just $500,000 in dead money, according to Over the Cap. Either way, the Steelers had better hope Tuitt is ready for a bigger role in his second season. Thomas is just that bad.
.jpg)



.png)





