Arkansas's Knile Davis Could Still Impact the SEC Championship in 2011
Everyone seems to have written off Arkansas running back Knile Davis. I'll go ahead and admit it: I had written off Knile Davis too.
When reports began to trickle out—or Twitter out as was the case on the evening of Aug. 11—that Davis had broken his ankle just seven plays into the Razorbacks' first scrimmage of camp, conversation quickly turned to who was going to fill his shoes.
Many names surfaced such as Ronnie Wingo Jr., Dennis Johnson, Kody Walker and Kelvin Fisher Jr. As fans speculated about all the different scenarios for who would carry the ball for the Hogs in 2011, absolutely no one mentioned Knile Davis.
This brings us to last week when Knile Davis was made available to the media for the first time since his injury. As usual Davis was upbeat and positive, but what seems to have gone unnoticed is Davis' declaration: “I’m not going to get back out there unless I’m 100 percent, but I was able to come back and play that same season in high school when I broke it.”
The doctors have told him that he could be back in eight weeks. If he is on schedule, that means that Knile Davis could be back by the Auburn game on Oct. 8.
My first thoughts were "but he's out for the season," and then it occurred to me that the official press release from the University of Arkansas said that "he was expected to miss the 2011 season".
I think many folks following this story confused the word "expected" for "will." Nowhere can I find where anyone with knowledge of the situation said that Davis "will" miss all of the 2011 season. Even so, numerous news outlets quickly interpreted this as a definite.
It is well documented that Knile Davis has always been a quick healer, so don't kid yourself into thinking this is hyperbole. There is a real possibility that Knile Davis could play football in 2011. But, should he play football in 2011?
That's the question that has to be asked both by him and the man whose shoulders the ultimate decision will fall upon: Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino. Here are some factors that need to be considered in order to answer that question.
What Is Best For Davis?
Davis said that he wouldn't rush it, and he shouldn't. Davis has NFL talent and shouldn't do anything to further injure himself and put his future in jeopardy.
Bobby Petrino won't let him come back if he is less than 100 percent. Of all the negative things you can say about Bobby Petrino, he doesn't risk a player's health just to get a win. Additionally, Petrino has spent three years at Arkansas building enough depth that he doesn't have to rush players back from an injury.
Arkansas fans all remember 2007 when the Houston Nutt-led Razorbacks lost Marcus Monk in the first week of preseason camp with a knee injury. He should have taken a red shirt and come back the next season, but he bravely tried to come back and was only a shell of his former self. He went from a promising pro prospect to a seventh-round draft selection who was cut in the preseason by the Chicago Bears.
This won't happen with Davis. Arkansas is now in far better shape at running back than they were at receiver in 2007 and therefor won't compromise the effectiveness of the team or the safety of Knile Davis by rushing the process.
There is also the issue of eligibility. Knile Davis has three years left to play two. So with a red shirt to burn, some might raise the question of Davis burning a year of eligibility to only play half the season. If he is healthy, a season and a half is more than enough for a player who rushed for 1,322 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010 to prove his wealth to pro scouts.
What Is Best For the Team?
If Davis is healthy, then having him back is what is best for the team. Even if Dennis Johnson and Ronnie Wingo Jr. prove to be capable substitutes, Arkansas would still like the additional weapon and the improved depth at running back.
Some teams worry about bringing a player back and disrupting team chemistry, but Petrino isn't superstitious and I don't think he would give this much thought. Davis is not just a physical leader but an emotional leader who was voted captain by his peers. His return would only bring the team closer together.
Another plus is that with Davis back in the fold, Arkansas can move Dennis Johnson back to returning kicks where he has been extremely effective in the past.
When?
After the Auburn game on Oct. 8, Arkansas has a bye week. At this point they would be half-way through the season. If Davis is healthy and Arkansas is either 5-1 or 6-0, then I think you could see him come return in a limited fashion against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt before returning full-time on Nov. 5 to remind South Carolina of why he was the SEC's leading rusher among running backs in 2010.
If this scenario comes to be, Arkansas will be in the driver's seat for the SEC West championship and a berth in the BCS National Championship Game. At that point, it would be all in and "damn the torpedoes."
If Arkansas has more than one loss, there is no way they are burning a year of eligibility for Davis. Additionally, if the process takes longer than eight weeks, Arkansas and Davis won't risk bringing him back for just three or four games.
I don't have a crystal ball, and I can't tell you if Knile Davis will play this year. I do believe it is a possibility, and if come Nov. 25 he takes the field against LSU in Baton Rouge, Arkansas will be playing for all the marbles.
.jpg)








