
John Elway Has Little Shot of Playing in 2018 US Senior Open, Says Hale Irwin
Three-time U.S. Open winner Hale Irwin doesn't think former Denver Broncos quarterback and current general manager John Elway has much chance to play in the 2018 U.S. Senior Open.
"Good luck," Irwin said Tuesday, per Arnie Stapleton of the Associated Press. "He'd better throw some tight spirals, I'm telling you."
Stapleton noted Irwin played football at the University of Colorado and is the leading money winner on the Senior PGA Tour. The golfer recognized Elway's athletic ability while explaining how difficult the transition from the gridiron to the links would be in 2018:
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game
.jpg)
NFL Stars Who Could Reset Market 💰
.jpg)
Schotty Sells Home For $3.8M 🏡
"John's an accomplished athlete, of course, but there's been a number of guys that came out and were rudely awakened to how well these guys can play because they're coming out now with very accomplished skills, very refined skills…And not that John doesn't have them. But at the same time it would be—what's the word just short of miracle?—I'd be pleasantly surprised if he made it. It would be wonderful if he did. I hope he does, frankly."
The event will take place at the Broadmoor Golf Club in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Stapleton noted Elway will be the tournament's honorary chairman even if he isn't one of the players.
According to Stapleton, Elway said last year he would like to play in the tournament while acknowledging, "if I went to the putting green it might help a little bit."
The Broncos general manager was being humble about his golf skills considering he made two Colorado Senior Open appearances and is a 1.4-handicap golfer, per Stapleton.
Even if Elway doesn't make the cut at the U.S. Senior Open, he has his illustrious football career to fall back on as a two-time Super Bowl winner as a player and one-time winner in the front office.
What's more, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported Saturday the Broncos and Elway were progressing "toward an extension that would keep him in Denver for the foreseeable future," via Lakisha Jackson of NFL.com.
.jpg)



.png)




