Here are the top franchises in the league in 2017:
1. New York Knicks ($3.6 billion)
2. Los Angeles Lakers ($3 billion)
3. Golden State Warriors ($2.6 billion)
4. Chicago Bulls ($2.5 billion)
5. Boston Celtics ($2.2 billion)
6. Los Angeles Clippers ($2.0 billion)
7. Brooklyn Nets ($1.8 billion)
8. Houston Rockets ($1.65 billion)
9. Dallas Mavericks ($1.45 billion)
10. Miami Heat ($1.35 billion)
The list goes to show that you don't necessarily need a successful team to make money in the NBA. Neither the Knicks nor the Lakers have had a winning season in the last four years, but each still generated over $330 million in revenue.
Still, the rapid ascension of the Warriors shows there is still value in winning.
Golden State was ninth on this same list in 2014 with a value of $750 million. After winning a championship in 2015, the team has jumped to seventh, then sixth in 2016. In the past year, the team has gained $104 million in revenue and almost doubled its net worth from $1.9 billion to $3.6 billion.
This is not a bad deal for majority owner Joe Lacob, who bought the team for $450 million in 2010.
The New Orleans Pelicans rank last in the league with a value of $750 million.