NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson, center, watches from the stands in the first half of an NBA basketball game at Madison Square Garden in New York, Sunday, April 10, 2016. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson, center, watches from the stands in the first half of an NBA basketball game at Madison Square Garden in New York, Sunday, April 10, 2016. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)Kathy Willens/Associated Press

Knicks Rumors: Latest Reports Following 2016 NBA Draft Lottery

Chris RolingMay 18, 2016

Phil Jackson and the New York Knicks paid another steep price for mistakes of the past Tuesday night, surrendering the ninth pick in the 2016 NBA draft. 

Folks knew going into the lottery the Knicks would likely lose the pick due to a deal gone awry thanks to the crystal-clear gaze of hindsight.

The narrative is different around these Knicks now, though. Jackson has done a decent job steering the ship in the right direction. Carmelo Anthony hasn't willingly walked a plank yet, and the Kristaps Porzingis pick from last year looks solid.

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

With the Knicks hoping to get in on the draft process and compete for major free agents this summer, there are plenty of reports chasing the franchise.

Getting Into the Draft

The drama for the Knicks in the first round this year went like this—the Knicks traded with the Toronto Raptors for Andrea Bargnani in 2014, but thanks to the deal for Anthony, the Denver Nuggets could have swapped for the pick, too.

Like anyone, though, the Knicks don't want to miss out on the draft-day fun. Given the lack of depth on the roster, it makes sense for the franchise to do what it can to get back in the proceedings.

According to the New York Post's Marc Berman, this is exactly what the Knicks will do: "The Knicks also don’t have a second-round pick, but multiple sources told the Post they are being aggressive as usual in looking to buy at least one, if not two, second-round picks."

As Berman pointed out, the Knicks did this last year by handing over cash to the Philadelphia 76ers for pick No. 35 and went on to select Willy Hernangomez (more on him in a bit).

This year, it sounds like the Knicks want more than one. Call it a necessity with Jose Calderon still starting at point guard, nobody of merit at shooting guard and needing an upgrade at center. New York will likely walk to the podium at the draft—how much it will cost is the question.

Willy Hernangomez on the Way?

The aforementioned Hernangomez is one of the more interesting names to keep an eye on this summer.

While the Knicks might not have any draft picks right now, it's likely Jackson and Co. feel they could have a first-round prospect on the way thanks to Hernangomez.

The problem is getting him here. Berman's colleague, Brian Lewis, provided a recent update:

"

Spanish outlet Encestando reports the Knicks are set to hand last year’s second-round pick a four-year, $4.5 million deal. Even though his agent, Andy Miller, told The Post, “There is no validity to the report,” that could be because the Knicks have to wait until July 7 to offer him a deal formally.

"

ESPN.com's Ian Begley elaborated on the budding subject:

So why are the Knicks so confident about Hernangomez? He's superb depth for a roster that certainly needs it, a 6'11", 255-pound force who can protect the rim and clean up on the glass with a rather high ceiling.

The definition of a stash, the Knicks might believe Hernangomez can contribute in a rotation right away, so look for him to find his way to New York before long.

Kurt Rambis to Stay No Matter What?

One of the things Jackson takes plenty of criticism for is his rather tight circle of friends and how that has impacted the team's coaching search.

While other franchises have pulled from a wide network of candidates to find the best possible guy, the air around New York's search suggests Jackson is in control and is going to do it his way no matter what the noise says.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News spoke with WFAN’s Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts on Tuesday (via CBS New York), and he revealed a rumored plan in New York while explaining it's not the best idea around:

"

That’s why they hired Kurt in the first place, to be offensive guru for Derek Fisher. It didn’t really work out, and it kind of seems like Kurt Rambis played a bit of a role in Derek Fisher getting fired. So if you’re Frank Vogel, David Blatt or Jeff Hornacek, ‘I have to inherit Kurt Rambis? I mean, he didn’t have Derek Fisher’s back. Why the heck would he have my back?’ That whole thing seems like a bad arrangement. If you’re going to bring in a coach, you’ve got to let him hire his staff because it never works.

"

Isola expanded with context on Twitter:

In other words, it sounds like guys such as David Blatt and Frank Vogel have to get used to the idea of Rambis watching over their shoulder for Jackson.

It's a scary thought, but if Jackson wants to run his organization in such a manner, so be it. No coach going into the situation can pretend they didn't have a strong grasp on the chain of command or how things would proceed.

Like the miserable trades of the past, it's an approach only hindsight will review well.

All stats and info via ESPN.com unless otherwise specified.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Houston Rockets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five
Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics

TRENDING ON B/R