NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith (5) waits for the inbound pass in the first half of an NBA preseason basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks, Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015, in Cincinnati. The Hawks won 98-96. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith (5) waits for the inbound pass in the first half of an NBA preseason basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks, Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015, in Cincinnati. The Hawks won 98-96. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)John Minchillo/Associated Press

J.R. Smith Comments on Allegations He Choked High School Student

Adam WellsNov 21, 2015

One day after the New York Daily News published a story about Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith allegedly choking a high school student in New York earlier this month, the 30-year-old has offered a response. 

Per Chris Haynes of Cleveland.com, Smith told reporters following the Cavs shootaround on Saturday afternoon that he's discussed the matter with the team. 

"First of all, things aren't being reported the right way," Smith said, "but the team and I have spoken. We had conversations with coach [David Blatt], [general manager David] Griff and some of the players. I just don't want to be a distraction to anybody else and I've just got to move forward."

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

Smith was asked specifically if an incident took place, and he responded with a similar answer to his previous comments. 

"Once again, things aren't reported like they're supposed to be," Smith said. "So I'll leave that where it is."

In Haynes' report, an NBA spokesman said the league is "aware of the reports and are in the process of obtaining more information."

According to the Daily News story, Smith is accused of choking 19-year-old Justin Brown after the teenager made a quip about Smith being traded by the New York Knicks. The alleged incident is said to have happened on Nov. 13 when the Cavaliers were in New York for a game against the Knicks. 

Smith offered an initial response to fans on Twitter after the Daily News story came out on Friday night:

LeBron James is quoted in Haynes' report as saying "you just want the best out of him" and that Smith has been "misunderstood" throughout his career. Kevin Love added that the Cavaliers are "in full support of our brother."

Smith, who has started nine games this season, was traded from the Knicks to Cleveland in January after spending four-plus seasons in New York. The Cavaliers will take on Atlanta in Cleveland on Saturday night. 

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Houston Rockets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five
Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics

TRENDING ON B/R