FBI Acknowledges Anonymous ISIS Threat for WWE Survivor Series in Atlanta

Mike Chiari@mikechiariFeatured Columnist

Mar 9, 2015; Atlanta, GA, USA; General view of Philips Arena before a game between the Atlanta Hawks and Sacramento Kings. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports
Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

Following the release of a report that ISIS may be planning a terrorist attack Sunday in Atlanta at Philips Arena during WWE's Survivor Series event, the FBI reportedly acknowledged the threat Saturday.

According to Mark Winne of WSB-TV, an FBI source informed him that the threat is being taken seriously.

Despite that, a source told Winne there is no active plot regarding an attack at Survivor Series. The FBI subsequently released a statement to WSB-TV as well:

The FBI is aware of reports of an alleged threat that includes an Atlanta, Georgia venue and event. While we take all threats seriously, we do not have specific or credible information of an attack at this time. We have, however, made the proper notifications as we continue to work closely with our law enforcement and private sector partners to keep our community safe.

On Sunday, WWE released a statement, saying no bags would be allowed in the arena and encouraging fans to use public transportation to the event.

News of the potential threat first came to light Saturday in a post by OpParisIntel—which is part of the hacker group Anonymous—on PasteBin.com (h/t IBTimes.com).

Per the post, intelligence suggests ISIS may be planning further attacks in Paris as well as attacks in Italy, Lebanon and Indonesia Sunday.

According to CNN.com, at least 128 people were killed and many more were injured in a terrorist attack in Paris last week.

Per WSBTV.com, Winne reported that Georgia Emergency Management Agency director Jim Butterworth is in contact with the FBI regarding the threat at Survivor Series.

"His agency is working closely with the FBI, the Georgia information sharing and analysis center and others in evaluating the threat on a Sunday WWE event in Atlanta reported by the group Anonymous," Winne said.

Details surrounding the threat are scarce, but WWE will proceed with Survivor Series. 

Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter.

Related

    Around the Wrestling Universe

    📆When will Cain return? 👀Bray defends new belt 🏖AEW brings back vintage event

    WWE logo
    WWE

    Around the Wrestling Universe

    Tyler Conway
    via Bleacher Report

    Monday Night Raw Preview ➡️

    WWE logo
    WWE

    Monday Night Raw Preview ➡️

    Erik Beaston
    via Bleacher Report

    Which Former Shield Star Has Brightest Future?

    Seven years after CM Punk attack, the question remains

    WWE logo
    WWE

    Which Former Shield Star Has Brightest Future?

    Graham GSM Matthews
    via Bleacher Report

    Ranking The Rock’s Greatest WWE Moments 21 Years After 1st World Title Win

    WWE logo
    WWE

    Ranking The Rock’s Greatest WWE Moments 21 Years After 1st World Title Win

    Erik Beaston
    via Bleacher Report