"I'm very optimistic," said surgeon Marc Philippon, when discussing the likelihood of Lincecum making a full recovery and regaining his pitching velocity and control, per CBS Sports' Jon Heyman. "He has a very strong, stable hip with no impingement (now)."
Continue for updates.
Lincecum's Season Is Over After Surgery, Future with Giants Uncertain
Thursday, Sept. 3
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reported on Lincecum's surgery that will end his campaign. Earlier in the day, Giants general manager Bobby Evans told Ann Killion of the San Francisco Chronicle Lincecum's 2015 season was over, but did not mention the procedure.
"My door will always be open for Tim Lincecum," manager Bruce Bochy said about Lincecum's future, also noting whether or not the team brings him back will be a baseball decision, via Shea. "He wants to pitch. He still has fire in his belly."
“I really don’t know. I mean, I hope not,” Lincecum said on Aug. 30 regarding the possibility of being out for the season, per Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News. “I can’t predict the future. I have good days and bad days. The bad days are outshining the good ones."
Lincecum, 31, has not pitched since June 27. He was first placed on the disabled list after being hit in the elbow by a line drive and was later diagnosed with a degenerative hip condition in July. The four-time All-Star was 7-4 with a 4.13 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 15 starts before the injury issues. In his ninth MLB season, this is Lincecum's first time on the disabled list.
The situation is exacerbated by the fact Lincecum will become a free agent this winter. In 2013, the Giants signed him to a two-year, $35 million deal that looked like an overpay at the time and has only gotten worse since. He has not finished a season with an ERA below 4.00 since 2011.
With a hip condition only further worsening the situation, Lincecum may struggle to find work at all in 2016—with the Giants or elsewhere.
Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter.