Pence was placed on the disabled list and required surgery, which was performed June 9. However, he is ready to return.
Continue for updates.
Pence Active vs. Nationals
Saturday, July 30
Pence Returns to Triple-A Lineup After Setback Scare
Thursday, July 21
Pence was listed in Triple-A Sacramento's lineup on Thursday, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.
This will be his first action since July 16, when Pavlovic reported Pence left his first rehab start with Sacramento in the third inning, although he was supposed to play at least five. Pavlovic noted Pence grabbed at his injured hamstring while running to first on a base hit.
John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reported Pence felt good after exiting the game, noting the outfielder wasn't seriously injured. "I'm hearing it indeed was an issue of scar tissue for Pence," Shea said.
Pence Comments on Recovery
Saturday, July 2
Pence spoke about his recovery Saturday after taking batting practice for the first time since undergoing surgery, per Schulman:
For me it's exciting. But it's like, man, I can't wait until I can go all out. ... It's good to have progress. It's exciting. I was definitely amped up just to be out there on the field again. I'll do what I can to be back as quick as possible. I'll do everything we can think of.
Pence Undergoes Surgery
Thursday, June 9
On June 5, journalist Andrew Baggarly reported Pence would have surgery Thursday.
Schulman reported that once Pence goes under the knife, he will be out for eight weeks. Schulman added Pence "will be off crutches after one day" and is "expected to begin range-of-motion exercises by next weekend."
Pence posted a photo from the hospital:
Bochy Comments on Pence Injury
Thursday, June 2
"Unfortunately, he did a pretty good job on it," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said, per Baggarly. "And it's a shame."
Pence Has Struggled with Injuries After Long Stretch of Durability
Prior to 2015, Pence had been one of the most durable players in Major League Baseball, playing at least 154 games every season since 2008, including all 162 in 2013 and 2014.
He started 2015 on the disabled list with a fractured left forearm suffered during a spring training game, forcing him to miss the first five weeks, and only managed to play 52 games as a result of various ailments.
Things had been going smoothly in 2016 for Pence, who looked like his old self to start the year. He was hitting for average and power and getting on base at a high clip.
The Giants were able to get by without Pence's bat in the middle of their lineup for stretches last season. Buster Posey, Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford picked up their games, though the lineup lacks depth without Pence in the middle.
San Francisco's front office did bolster the starting rotation this offseason, signing Jeff Samardzija and Johnny Cueto, to try to offset any potential offensive shortcomings. Sitting first in the National League West, the Giants were able to survive without Pence for a bit. But it's obvious this has become a recurring problem.