NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
🚨 Knicks Up 3-0 vs. Cavs
ATLANTA, GA - APRIL 29:  Joe Johnson #7 of the Brooklyn Nets reacts as he walks to the bench during Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals of the NBA Playoffs against the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena on April 29, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
ATLANTA, GA - APRIL 29: Joe Johnson #7 of the Brooklyn Nets reacts as he walks to the bench during Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals of the NBA Playoffs against the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena on April 29, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Why It Makes Sense for Brooklyn Nets to Retain Joe Johnson Now

Fred KatzJul 27, 2015

The infamous Joe Johnson contract is almost over, and it appears it will end with the Brooklyn Nets

The Brooklyn wing has been the subject of trade rumors for much of this offseason (and part of last year), but those likely disintegrated in conjunction with the Deron Williams buyout that took place a couple of weeks ago. Johnson has only one year left on his deal, during which he's owed $24.9 million, and given the shallow talent pool on the roster, keeping him now makes the most sense.

The main reason the Nets were looking to unload Johnson was a financial one. The University of Arkansas product is still an above-average shooting guard, but he makes the second-most of any player in the league during 2015-16 (just barely less than Kobe Bryant's $25 million).

TOP NEWS

Mitchell Quote on Knick Fans 👀

New NBA Mock Draft 📝

New York Knicks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Three

Knicks Haven't Lost in a Month 🤷‍♂️

That used to be a killer. Now, it doesn't appear it will be.

Brooklyn was clearly worried about having to pay the luxury tax. But instead of dealing Johnson in rumored potential deals like ones with the Cleveland Cavaliers or Charlotte Hornets, as reported by Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN.com, the team turned to Williams. Once the Nets worked out a somewhat unexpected buyout with D-Will to get under the tax line, Johnson's ousting became less of a priority. Heck, it became secondary.

On the same day that general manager Billy King said the Williams buyout wouldn't have happened if it didn't get the team under the tax, he also couldn't have been clearer when he told reporters at Las Vegas Summer League, "Joe will be here" in regards to the upcoming season.

Of course, GMs aren't always the best truth-tellers. If a legitimate offer comes up for Johnson, the Nets are obviously going to listen. Maybe they actually are looking to shed a little more money, though it is doubtful considering the Cavs deal is now off the table with Brendan Haywood and his non-guaranteed $10.5 million for next season heading to the Portland Trail Blazers

Still, there's that whole "trying to make the playoffs" thing. As much as the Nets may be worrying about their future—as they should—success in the present is more important for them than for most organizations.

Teams like the Philadelphia 76ersOrlando Magic or Minnesota Timberwolves, who seem to be in constant rebuilding mode over the past few years, have something that Brooklyn doesn't: draft picks.

And because they own their own picks, they can find value in losing. It's all about tanking in today's NBA, even if few of those teams are as open about their intentional stinking as the Sixers, who get the most flak for implementing an all-about-the-future strategy.

The Nets, though, have no incentive to be bad.

They don't own their 2016 first-round pick. That heads to the Celtics as part of the 2013 trade that brought Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to Brooklyn. Boston can swap picks with them in 2017 as part of the deal, too.

But that's it. Then, the Nets get their first-rounders back forev—wait, no.

Their 2018 pick goes to Boston, too. Unprotected.

Man, this could be rough.

So, they have to try winning, since there's no benefit to any other scenario. And Johnson can probably help them do that more than anything they could get for him considering teams aren't exactly jumping through hoops to bring him and his $24.9 million into town. And that's not even getting to how much harder it is to trade that large a contract in-season, when most teams are around or over the cap and would have to match salaries to make a deal.

Johnson may not have had quite as big an impact last year, but he still shot 36 percent from three on a team that finished 26th in long-range shooting. He remains one of the best post-up threats among Eastern Conference wings, able to score and distribute while backing guys down at the low block. He's capable of creating for others. He's able to defend a couple of wing positions.

An older Johnson can still be effective, and with the waning talent on this team, the Nets will need him.

Unless someone blows King out of the water with an offer, don't be surprised to see the 34-year-old remain in Brooklyn for the rest of the season.

Follow Fred Katz on Twitter at @FredKatz.

All quotes obtained firsthand. All statistics courtesy of Basketball-Reference.com and NBA.com unless noted otherwise.

🚨 Knicks Up 3-0 vs. Cavs

TOP NEWS

Mitchell Quote on Knick Fans 👀

New NBA Mock Draft 📝

New York Knicks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Three

Knicks Haven't Lost in a Month 🤷‍♂️

New York Knicks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Three

Cavs' New Rules for Game 3 Fans

Indiana Pacers v Milwaukee Bucks

Buying/Selling NBA Rumors 👀

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠
Bleacher Report11h

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠

Multiple titles on the line in Indy 📲

TRENDING ON B/R