
Homer Bailey Injury: Updates on Reds Pitcher's Elbow and Return
The Cincinnati Reds put starting pitcher Homer Bailey on the disabled list April 27 due to a ligament strain in his pitching elbow. The pitcher will undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking him out for the season.
Continue for updates.
TOP NEWS

Assessing Every MLB Team's Development System ⚾
.png)
10 Scorching MLB Takes 🌶️

Yankees Call Up 6'7" Prospect 📈
Bailey to Undergo Tommy John
Friday, May 1
The Reds announced Bailey would undergo Tommy John surgery and will be out for the rest of the season.
On April 29, C. Trent Rosecrans of The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the Reds transferred Bailey to the 60-day DL.
Joe Kay of The Associated Press originally reported on April 28 that the Reds were considering surgery for Bailey's ailing elbow. Kay passed along comments from manager Bryan Price.

"A lot of times, you want to kick the tires and make sure," Price said. "Not everything needs to be corrected with surgery. There are other ways to do things. So there are some options out there beyond surgery. That being said, that would be one of the options."
Kay added, "Either way, Bailey will miss a significant amount of time recovering from his latest elbow problem."
The team’s official Twitter account noted on April 27 that Bailey would go to the disabled list with a ligament strain in his elbow and pitcher Carlos Contreras would take Bailey’s spot on the major league squad.
Price discussed how long Bailey could be out, per John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer:
Bailey made two starts in the early going this season and had a 5.56 ERA and 1.76 WHIP. The 28-year-old boasts a 4.19 career ERA and agreed to a six-year, $105 million contract with the Reds before the start of the 2014 campaign, with a mutual option for a seventh season.
Reds broadcaster Jeff Brantley seemed to notice something wrong with Bailey earlier this season, per Lance McAlister of 700 WLW in Cincinnati:
Cincinnati will need someone to step into the starting rotation, especially since it is far too early in the season to consider a four-man rotation.
One potential candidate is southpaw Tony Cingrani, who started 11 games for the Reds last year and has six appearances this season out of the bullpen. He's allowed only two earned runs in 7.1 innings of work thus far this year.
Cingrani would also give the starting rotation a left-handed presence among right-handers Johnny Cueto, Mike Leake, Anthony DeSclafani and Jason Marquis.



.jpg)







