
Vanderbilt QB Patton Robinette Retires Due to Concussions: Comments and Reaction
Vanderbilt quarterback Patton Robinette has become the latest football player to walk away from the sport due to fears about concussions and long-term health.
According to Adam Sparks of The Tennessean, Robinette was the presumed starter for Vanderbilt heading into 2015 before informing coaches of his decision on Friday:
"Robinette entered last season as the Commodores' starting quarterback, and he finished spring practice as the presumed starter last week.
Robinette told Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason of his decision on Thursday and told teammates during a brief gathering Friday morning, according to a Vanderbilt news release.
"
Robinette's statement was also included in Sparks' report, saying it has "been tough coming to a decision that is right for my family and I, and protects my health and future."
"I've been very deliberate in coming to this decision," Robinette added. "It's difficult but I'm really excited to move forward to the next chapter of my life and really to see what the field of medicine has in store for me."
Robinette joins a list of players to walk away from football due to health concerns at a young age that includes Chris Borland, who retired after one NFL season with the San Francisco 49ers, and Michigan offensive lineman Jack Miller, who announced his decision on March 25.
Per Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated, Robinette had already made his future plans for after college football, and this decision allows him to get a jump on things:
With concussions and head injuries coming to the forefront at all levels of football in recent years, the decision by Robinette and others isn't one that's surprising. These players know the risks better than anyone on the outside because they deal with aches and pains after every game.
Fortunately for someone like Robinette, he's developed a plan for life after football and is sticking to it.
.jpg)








