NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
USA Today

Rajon Rondo Injury: Updates on Celtics Star's Broken Hand and Return

Joseph ZuckerSep 26, 2014

Updates from Wednesday, Nov. 12

Marc D'Amico of Celtics.com has an update on Rajon Rondo's status for Wednesday's game:

"

Rajon Rondo will return to action after missing Saturday’s game to have a screw removed from his surgically repaired left hand. He’s back, but he isn’t 100 percent healthy.

“It’s a little sore,” Rondo said of his hand on Tuesday, “but nothing I can’t play with.”

The point guard went on to say that he was unsure of how his hand would react following his first practice after the removal of the screws. He revealed that there was potential that the hand could swell up as the day went on.

"

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

Updates from Tuesday, Nov. 11

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe reported on Rajon Rondo from Celtics practice:

Brad Stevens later spoke about Rondo's status for Boston's game vs. Oklahoma City, via A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com:

Updates from Monday, Nov. 10

Scott Souza of MetroWestDailyNews.com provides a synopsis of Celtics head coach Brad Stevens discussing Rajon Rondo's expected return to the court:

Updates from Sunday, Nov. 9

A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com provides a statement from Celtics head coach Brad Stevens regarding Rajon Rondo needing to have the screws taken out of his surgically repaired hand:

"

I didn't know about it until after the game. He just needed to have the screws removed. It's a really minor procedure.

It went well. It happened (Saturday) morning and from everything I've gathered it's just a matter of letting the stitching heal and he's back at practice Tuesday. So it's a three-day thing.

"

Updates from Friday, Nov. 7

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe provides an update on Rajon Rondo's recovery:

Updates from Wednesday, Oct. 29 

NBA.com's Sean Grande confirms Rajon Rondo's status:

Updates from Tuesday, Oct. 28

Rajon Rondo is inching closer to 100 percent, says coach Brad Stevens via ESPN's Chris Forsberg:

Updates from Monday, Oct. 27

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe passed along comments from Rajon Rondo on his return:

Updates from Friday, Oct. 24

Brian Robb of Boston.com has an update on Rajon Rondo's status:

"

Rajon Rondo’s chances of suiting up for the Boston Celtics on opening night next Wednesday just got a bit more realistic.

Head coach Brad Stevens told reporters that the point guard will take part in a full-contact practice today for the first time since undergoing surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand last month.

The practice session will be an intense one, as the Celtics start to make their final preparations leading up to their regular season opener against the Brooklyn Nets. Rondo is expected to take part in all the practice action with a protective pad on his left hand that Stevens .

“He will go through the whole practice today and it will just be a matter, again, of how big that pad is,” Stevens said of Rondo. “I think that’s the biggest thing moving forward. It’s really about getting hit or not. So obviously, see how he feels after this. We’ve got Saturday and Sunday off. Monday or Tuesday, we should know more.”

"

Updates from Wednesday, Oct. 22

Kyle Brasseur of ESPN provides an update from Celtics head coach Brad Stevens, who comments on Rajon Rondo's injury:

"

He's progressing well," Stevens said. "He'll continue to do a little bit more in practice. Did a little bit more yesterday. Anytime that it's even close to a contact-esque drill that he's been allowed to do, he has a nice-sized pad on his hand. Still not fully fully good to go but certainly working that way. 

 

"

Updates from Monday, Oct. 20

Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com provides a statement from Celtics head coach Brad Stevens discussing Rajon Rondo's injury status and recovery:

"

Stevens was encouraged by Rondo's recent reevaluation.

'He had a scan on his hand and he's progressing great,' Stevens said. 'He obviously won't do any contact before the end of the week, but there's a chance that he could be cleared to do some stuff by the end of the week.'

Does Stevens think Rondo could play on opening night?

'I think it's a possibility,' said Stevens.

"

Forsberg also shares a statement from Rondo discussing his recovery:

"

'I don't know. I still haven't had any contact yet,' Rondo said when asked about playing on opening night. 'The opener is a little bit over a week away. I don't want to set goals; I just want to go as my hand heals.'

[...]

'It doesn't bother me at all when I dribble the ball, catch the ball,' Rondo said. 'But it's night and day from trying to brace myself hitting the floor or going into the lane and somebody smacks my hand.'

"

Updates from Monday, Oct. 13

Scott Souza of the MetroWest Daily News reports Rajon Rondo is participating in select drills today:

Updates from Friday, Oct. 10

The Celtics provided an update on Rondo's status:

Updates from Monday, Sept. 29

Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston shared an image of Rajon Rondo from Celtics media day:

Original Text

Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo broke his hand.

The team announced that Rondo had surgery on Friday. The injury came Thursday night after Rondo fell at his home:

"

The Boston Celtics announced today that guard Rajon Rondo underwent successful surgical fixation of a left metacarpal fracture this morning at New England Baptist Hospital. The injury was a result of a fall at his home last night. The surgery was performed by Dr. Hervey Kimball and Celtics Team Physician Dr. Brian McKeon.

"

Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Rondo could be out for six weeks:

Jeff Goodman of ESPN reported on how the injury occurred:

Baxter Holmes of The Boston Globe reported that Rondo, head coach Brad Stevens and general manager Danny Ainge will speak to the media on Monday:

After tearing his ACL in January 2013, Rondo missed major parts of the last two seasons. He played in a combined 68 games between the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

While the Celtics are currently in a rebuilding period, Rondo remains a key piece of the franchise. He's by far the team's best player, and as the only holdover from the 2008 championship-winning team, his experience and leadership will be invaluable for Boston's stable of young guards.

Stevens can only hope that Rondo hits the ground running after returning from injury.

The Celtics begin the 2014-15 regular season Oct. 29 against the Brooklyn Nets.

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Houston Rockets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five
Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics

TRENDING ON B/R